Application crash when in snapped view

Question

• I have an app that uses the grid App template, I realised that when I snap the view and navigate to an item the app crash and give me that error message :

that._viewport.style.opacity = 1.0; is highlighted

Exception was thrown but not handled in user code at line 22600, column 25 in ms-appx://microsoft.winjs.1.0.rc/js/ui.js

0x800a138f - JavaScript runtime error: Unable to get property 'style' of undefined or null reference

Monday, June 4, 2012 11:04 AM

Answers

• We do know!  That is what I said earlier:  You cannot vote on your own post                        
    " I was able to spot the issue and file a bug for this! There is no ETA for a fix currently."

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Monday, August 6, 2012 2:12 PM

All replies

• I have a sample app that I created with the GridView template and it works without a problem.  Can you give the steps you are taking when using a gridview application from the template that causes this issue?

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 6:41 PM
  • I'm having the exact same issue. I have created an App based on the Grid template (HTML/Javascript) and ran into this. In order to troubleshoot I tested it with a blank grid template without customizing anything and the issue came back again.

The issue is random is shown when selecting an item from the GroupDetails page in snapped view, going back from the itemDetails page, selecting another item from the GroupDetails page.

Sometimes the issue is with the first selection of an item, sometimes with the 5th and sometimes with the 20th selection of an item from the GroupDetails page.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 1:04 PM
  • Thanks for the repro steps Danny!  I will give them a shot.

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 1:15 PM
  • Danny,

Thanks a ton for the repro.  I was able to spot the issue and file a bug for this!  There is no ETA for a fix currently.

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 2:09 PM
  • Hi!! 

Im having the same problem. Could it be fixed?

Thanks!

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 8:36 PM
  • " I was able to spot the issue and file a bug for this! There is no ETA for a fix currently."

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 12:18 PM
  • Yep have the same problem here- I even typed up instructions  but found this thread before posting it. I've attached it below anyway.

------------

I've run into an issue with my app and eventually realized I can reproduce my problem even without writing any code...

Running Win 8 RP. Visual Studio 12. 

Create a new project (Grid App). Launch the app (f5).

The problem isn't consistent (maybe a race condition?) however when it does occur, it happens when navigating from a 'Group Detail Page' to an 'Item Detail Page'. 

Click on a Group. Then click on an item inside the group which will take you to the item detail page. Most probably everything will be okay at this point. But now hit the back arrow and click another item. Do this repeatedly until you basically get a null pointer exception. If you've clicked every item in the group and it still hasn't occurred, navigate to a different group.

I've noticed that it occurs more frequently when I'm in snapped view as opposed to full screen mode.

Stack Trace:

> Anonymous function [ui.js] Line 22600 Script
      notifySuccess [base.js] Line 1398 Script
      enter [base.js] Line 1085 Script
      _run [base.js] Line 1301 Script
      _completed [base.js] Line 1269 Script
      argDone [base.js] Line 2021 Script
      Anonymous function [base.js] Line 2046 Script
      notifySuccess [base.js] Line 1398 Script
      enter [base.js] Line 1085 Script
      _run [base.js] Line 1301 Script
      _completed [base.js] Line 1269 Script

Null Pointer occurs in ui.js in the _fadeOutViewport function.

The line it occurs on is : that._viewport.style.opacity = 1.0;

where that._viewport happens to be null.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 7:00 PM
  • Guys,

Don't spend hours on this issue like I did. JUST RESTART YOUR COMPUTER.

EDIT: If you run VS again after restarting, the issue comes back, not a permanent solution.
    • Proposed as answer by sddhhanover Tuesday, July 24, 2012 8:09 PM
    • Edited by sddhhanover Tuesday, July 24, 2012 8:12 PM
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 8:08 PM
  • Hi all, i'm using the Grid App template as well and im having the same issue. before getting here I thought I did something wrong and then I worked out it wasn't me. Saw this thread. been reported on the 04 June by Fraincs, do we know if someone is still looking into the issue. by the way im just asking and not being rude or anything like that. Thx
    Monday, August 6, 2012 7:33 AM
  • We do know!  That is what I said earlier:  You cannot vote on your own post                        
    " I was able to spot the issue and file a bug for this! There is no ETA for a fix currently."

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Monday, August 6, 2012 2:12 PM
  • Hi all, I'm working on metro app in windows 8 release preview now. I have the issue related this topic. my app is crashed in 2, 3 seconds when it is displayed in snap mode and I can't debug since it appears "A debugger is not attached....". However, when I change debug type to "Mixed", it displayed "No source available...combase.dll....". I know that this is not logic problem but I don't know how to solve it. Maybe it a bug.
    • Edited by hieuvc Friday, August 17, 2012 6:24 AM
    Friday, August 17, 2012 6:21 AM
  • Do you know if this issue was resolved with RTM and the latest visual studio version?

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 7:50 PM
  • I believe it is

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 11:20 AM