none
.NET Framework 1.0 got corrupted on Win XP Media Center Edition and SP3 update fails RRS feed

• Question

• My wife accidentally turned the PC off while it was booting and it became unbootable. I tried many fixes and eventually had to restore the OS from the recovery console of the original installation CD. During this recovery process, I was asked to insert a disk with a Win XP Prof SP2, which I did not have. So, I inserted the same original installation CD and the recovery process finished succesfully. Now, my PC boots and OS starts without problems. But, when I tried to install updates, all of them got installed except for the .NET Framework 1.0 SP3 and the Win XP SP3. I went through the steps explained here

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=908907

without success. When I checked my "add remove programs", I saw that I have newer versions of the .NET Framework (2.0 and 3.5), and erroneously thought that I don't need 1.0 version. So, I uninstalled it through "add remove programs". Then I found that the Win XP Media Center Edition uses .NET Framework 1.0 as part of the OS. So, I found the installation file for 1.0 on the MSFT site and tried to install it, but got an error message that it is already installed even though I don't see it in the "add remove programs". I still have the v1.0.3705 folder under C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework. So, I figured that the 1.0 version is still there. Using the framework cleanup tool didn't help either because it doesn't allow to uninstall the 1.0 version for Media Centers. So, to summarize:

1. I couldnot complete the SP3 update for .NET Framework 1.0 because of the error "The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer because ..."
    2. I tried to uninstall the Framework 1.0 and it got removed from "add remove programs", but is physically still there and doesn't allow to be re-installed.
    3. I tried to run SP2 and SP3 patches, but got the same error message as in (1).

Please, help.

Saturday, October 31, 2009 7:23 PM

Answers

• Hello,

The relationship of the .NET Framework versions 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5 differs from the relationship of versions 1.0, 1.1, and 2.0. The .NET Framework versions 1.0, 1.1, and 2.0 are completely separate from each other, and one version can be present on a computer regardless of whether the other versions are present. When versions 1.0, 1.1, and 2.0 are on the same computer, each version has its own common language runtime, class libraries, compiler, and so forth. So it is not necessary to uninstall 1.0 version even if you have 2.0 and higher installed

The .NET Framework cleanup tool contains logic so that if it is run on an OS version that includes the .NET Framework as an OS component, it will not offer the option to clean it up. This means that running the cleanup tool on Windows XP Media Center Edition will not offer the option to clean up the .NET Framework 1.0. When the .NET Framework is installed as a part of the OS, usually it does not appear in the Programs and Features (or Add/Remove Programs) control panel and you could see it from the .net framework cleanup tool, so I believe 1.0 version is not uninstalled.

As on Windows XP Media Center Edition, the only way to get the .NET Framework 1.0 SP3 is to install Windows XP SP2 or higher.  There is not a standalone 1.0 SP3 installer for this edition of Windows XP. I suggest you manually install the SP3 from here. If you came across any issues, you could post the issue on the Windows Update Forum.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Send us any feedback you have about the help from MSFT at fbmsdn@microsoft.com.
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 7:49 AM