locked
BackgroundDownloader stops working

    Question

  • I am having a weird issue in my metro app. I am using BackgroundDownloader class to start some downloads. After, I launch and quit the application a few times in debugger, BackgroundDownloader dows not start any background download. There is no exception , no error of any sort but I dont get any response event after 1 hour. If I change my package's GUID of my app, that it starts working. But, after a few more launch and quit, the same problem happens.

    I am stuck. What is going on here? Could someone please help?!

    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 1:42 PM

All replies

  • Is it possible for you to tweak the Background Task sample to exhibit this behavior? If so could you provide the steps to repro as I've not found a way to create that condition so far using that sample as a base for a repro.

    Thanks!


    David Lamb

    Thursday, September 13, 2012 9:07 PM
    Moderator
  • The problem is not consistent with our app too. I can upload the source of our app with the package when the problem happens next time. Will that help? The problem can be reproduced by copying the package directory and running our app's code. Makes sense?
    Saturday, September 15, 2012 1:16 PM
  • Have you been able to either replicate the bug consistently, or even work around it? I am running into the same problem here.

    BackgroundDownloader stops doing anything for my app. Because I am working in a virtual machine, I can always go back to a machine state where the problem occurs persistently. I tried a few things:

    • When the problem occurs, it does not go away. The problem remains even after reinstalling the app, and/or restarting the machine.
    • I am watching outgoing requests on my debugging proxy (Charles): when the problem occurs, there are no outgoing requests.
    • If I sign the app with another certificate, BackgroundDownloader starts working again.
    • I do not think the package folder has anything to do with it, as it gets removed when uninstalling the app.
    • I do not have a clue how to replicate the bug. Yet.
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:58 PM
  • I am experiencing the exact same thing. Uploader and Downloader just stopped working completely regardless of the target store. Did you find any resolution to this?

    This started happening immediately after I turned on all the Application development Features in Windows IIS. Perhaps this is a cause? Cant imagine how.


    Laurence Lemmon-Warde


    • Edited by Laurence73 Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:59 AM
    Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:55 AM
  • I experienced the same problem and tried the same things as you have. However, in my case the problem was resolved by rebooting the machine. The main reason I did this was because Windows Update was pending a restart. The update list contained a fix for BITS, so that could have been the cause. No time to dig in any further, but you may want to check for pending updates and restart the machine.
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 8:30 AM
  • Even i am also having same issue. So what to do next it is fixable or need to create a downloader using HttpClient class.

    Please suggest me as soon as possible.


    CB

    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 5:49 PM