Unknown high data transfer on storage account RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Azure subscription from MSDN Ultimate (running on the old pricing model). There, I run two VMs (West Europe). Both have their VHDs stored in the same storage account (also West Europe). It is geo-redundand by default (didn't change it).

The first VM has been running fine for some weeks without issues. But since a couple days ago when I started the second one, something weird happend.

On my billing details I do now get rows like this:

"All Services",...,"Data Transfer In (GB)",...,"Storage",..."mystorageaccountid"
    "All Services",...,"Data Transfer Out (GB)",...,"Storage",..."mystorageaccountid"

Today it said 171 GB in and 31 GB out! Note that it attributes this to the storage account and NOT to the VM. Also VM dashboard shows basically no in/out values (which is correct).

I do not use CDN or any other Azure feature (at least I'm not aware of it). I do not acces the storage account in any other way than by the VM. The VM itself may be writing/reading from its VHD in a quantity that fits the above figures, though. However, I learned that there is no bandwith charge for GRS.

How can this happen / how can I prevent it?

My first guess is that maybe it's because I put the second VM's VHD on the same storage container. But on the other hand, it's all in the same region...

Thanks for your help!
    David

Thursday, December 19, 2013 7:44 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

From Data Transfers Pricing Details page, we can see that “(i.e. data going into Window Azure data centers): Free”, “Is data transfer between Windows Azure services located within the same region charged?  No. For example, a Windows Azure SQL database in the same region will not have any additional data transfer costs.

You have used 31GB out, firstly, we need to know why transfer 31GB out, it was occurred when you started your second VM (This VM was already build and appeared in the portal?). If you still didn’t found any other data transfer, please feel free to let me know.

Regards

• Edited by Oliverfan Thursday, December 19, 2013 9:54 AM
    Thursday, December 19, 2013 9:53 AM
  • The charges occured every day since I started the second VM. Since I shut it down 2 days ago, there are no rows in my billing file of data transfer out for storage on these days.

The only thing the VM did was run MySQL and Java. In particular it didn't acces the storage APIs ore something like that.

So what should I do here? I could mabe turn on Storage Analytics and run the VM again for some time? Or just contact support.

Thursday, December 19, 2013 3:40 PM
  • Hi,

For this billing question Please contact support team by creating a support ticket at http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/support/contact/

Or if that doesn't work because you don't have an active subscription you will need to contact general customer support to have them create a support ticket for you http://support.microsoft.com/gp/customer-service-phone-numbers?wa=wsignin1.0

Best Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, December 20, 2013 1:41 AM