VSIX Deployment: VS Gallery Auto Updates Not Working RRS feed

• Question

• I followed these steps.

1. Published extension (VS package) to the VS Gallery by uploading VSIX.
    2. Installed it to VS by selecting it from Extensions and Updates (experimental instance or normal instance).
    3. Incremented version number in source.extension.vsixmanifest.  1.3.23 changed to 1.3.24.
    4. Rebuilt VSIX and uploaded it again as a new version to existing tool page.  Nothing else changed, just the version number.
    5. Reopen VS, go to Extensions and Updates > Updates > Visual Studio Gallery

It does not list my extension for update.

Oddly, if I go to Extensions and Updates > Online > Visual Studio Gallery (after uploading new version), it shows the new version.  But it does not recognize it as an available update.

• Edited by bulldog___ Thursday, October 16, 2014 12:33 AM
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 12:32 AM

Answers

• Hello,

According to the document here:

How to: Update a Visual Studio Extension

You just need to change the version number in the vsixmanifest, then republish it to the VSGallery. Nonthing else is needed. It can take some time to take effect. Wait for some time(maybe a few hours, i'm not sure), it should appear in the Updates tab.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Caillen Wednesday, October 22, 2014 9:59 AM
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 3:39 PM
  • Despite what the document from Caillen says, I also increment the version number in the VS Gallery as well. Maybe that solves your problem, even though this step shouldn't (theoretically) be necessary.
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 2:38 PM
  • Thanks.  I was updating the version number in the vsmanifest.

I can see what my problem was now.  It takes 24 hours to show up as a new version in Extensions and Updates (and the Notification tool window).

• Marked as answer by bulldog___ Sunday, November 2, 2014 10:59 PM
    Sunday, November 2, 2014 10:59 PM

All replies

• Hello,

According to the document here:

How to: Update a Visual Studio Extension

You just need to change the version number in the vsixmanifest, then republish it to the VSGallery. Nonthing else is needed. It can take some time to take effect. Wait for some time(maybe a few hours, i'm not sure), it should appear in the Updates tab.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, October 16, 2014 3:39 PM
  • Despite what the document from Caillen says, I also increment the version number in the VS Gallery as well. Maybe that solves your problem, even though this step shouldn't (theoretically) be necessary.
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 2:38 PM
  • Thanks.  I was updating the version number in the vsmanifest.

I can see what my problem was now.  It takes 24 hours to show up as a new version in Extensions and Updates (and the Notification tool window).

• Marked as answer by bulldog___ Sunday, November 2, 2014 10:59 PM
    Sunday, November 2, 2014 10:59 PM
  • Hi,

For VS 2015 it took me about half an hour to receive the update notification.
    Looks like the Gallery works much faster nowadays. 

Make assembly, not C++.

Monday, October 3, 2016 9:06 PM