Error thrown when browsing mobile content on Motorola 710 RRS feed

• Question

• User-1162827054 posted
    I’ve been running into a weird problem lately with viewing WAP content I created using ASP.NET mobile controls (mainly when making database queries for article information) using Motorola 710s. When trying to view content that it *appears* would be lengthy (and on other devices is automatically paged over successive screens) I get System.FormatException errors, saying that the “Invalid Length for a Base-64 char array.” IIRC, this is an error typically thrown when viewstate is corrupted OR a page has too much content for a device. But it’s only on this make/model that it happens. Anyone else experience this or know if this is a known glitch with that particular phone?
    Wednesday, November 3, 2004 1:07 AM

All replies

• User-95607119 posted
    You can catch ViewStateExpired event of mobile web page. In this event you should kill current Session and then redirect (using mobile page method) user to your first page or login page etc. Can you show me the code that gives this System.FormatException?
    Thursday, November 4, 2004 4:33 AM
  • User-1162827054 posted
    Thanks...I'm already catching OnViewStateExpired and using the redirect method. The code is basic ADO.NET that queries a DB and returns a series of fields, one of which is of type TEXT (I'm assuming this is the field that's causing it to error, being excessive data the phone can't take all at once). It works on any other platform except the Motorola 710.
    Thursday, November 4, 2004 4:44 AM
  • User-1162827054 posted
    More problems with this model...apparently, none of the content on the mobile pages I've developed that call dynamic data will display...even if the load is only a few characters. The service provider indicated that because the model is a Verizon-centric phone, it does have some known behavioral settings that make it work better for that platform, but this is getting to be a headache, considering it works perfectly on any other model.
    Friday, November 12, 2004 12:58 AM
  • User-95607119 posted
    Maybe you can find some help from http://www.motocoder.com/. It is Motorola mobile developers web page. You can find device specifications there and also there are support forums.
    Friday, November 12, 2004 6:09 AM
  • User-1162827054 posted
    Here's something Microsoft got back at me with: -------------------------------------------- Motorola V710 doesn’t show up in the list of supported devices so I hope you have added a config section for this after profiling the device [the device profiler is available at http://www.asp.net/mobile/profile/default.aspx ]. The issue you are seeing happens when the capability “requiresUrlEncodedPostfieldValues” is wrongly set. The default value is false. Please browse to a page which prints the capability value [Response.Write(Request.Browser["RequiresUrlEncodedPostfieldValues"]);] for this device and then reverse it in config. Note: As the issue is related to post field encoding you do not run into the issue on GET but only on POST [that is why the first browse is working and 2nd to nth pages are throwing].
    Monday, November 29, 2004 7:10 PM
  • User-1162827054 posted
    SOLVED!! Thanks much to Kashif Alam at MS for his help for sussing this out. The following blcok goes within the <system.web> element in web.config to get the content to properly render after page postbacks on Motorola V710s: <!-- ADD-IN SUPPORT FOR NEWER MOBILE DEVICES --> <browserCaps> <use var="HTTP_USER_AGENT" /> <filter> <!-- device support for Motorola V710 --> <case match="MOT-8700_/00.62 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2.156 \(GUI\) MMP/2.0"> requiresUrlEncodedPostfieldValues="true" </case> </filter> </browserCaps>
    Friday, December 3, 2004 4:53 AM