none
Sysprepping again fails (elements have allready been processed ???). RRS feed

• Question

• I have some industrial ipc's, and made an image a year ago.
    Now, several things had to be added to this image, some settings and some drivers have been added.
    So i took a deployed system, tried to sysprep it again.

Sysprep immidiatly fails on executing with this error :

Windows could not parse or process unattend answerfile [c:\Windows\Panther\unattend.xml].
    The answer file contains one or more settings elements that have already been processed.

While well in fact my answer file is pretty short, besides setting to keep the existing drivers in the system, some system-user passwords and the license key nothing much is added again.
    Since I updated the new drivers and settings using the DISMUI tool (allows online servicing of an image).
    I am pretty sure that DISMUI works, since the licensed system now recognizes new hardware; which it did not before.

Its just that i wonder should i do something extra to the system to Sysprep it again.
    Might it be that previous deployment left some cached / logged /or ... behind and should be removed before i sysprep it again.

• one of the things i tried was removing the license (since the unattended sets the license), but problem stayed the same.
    • on a side note i deploy based upon disk cloning, i'm not working with WIM's.
    • another side note, it was only possible due to memory limits to deploy the system first, i couldnt install full from a DS, so i had to install first then windows updates fix one by one, these systems cannot be deployed from scratch using a DS (i've posted another thread about it), just pointing that new DS isnt a solution for me, so I really have to RE-sysprep it again.
    • My Rearm count hasnt passed out ( i still should be able to sysprep a few times).
    • Might it be that the panther directory requires cleanup ?, but what to clean ?

• Edited by PGT2008 Tuesday, August 25, 2015 11:32 AM update
    Tuesday, August 25, 2015 11:21 AM

Answers

• Ok well i guess i solved it.

It wasnt about panther folder corruption, it wasnt about some package conflict, it wasnt a licence issue.

I had used the minimal unattended.xml   before to finish of other machines.
    And apperantly it wasnt no longer original but in a used state now, this unattend xml.
    Windows 7 WES sysprep, needs to know what phases it has to do next, and so cant be used again.

Suddenly i noticed in the XML at the settings pass.
    <settings pass="generalize" wasPassProcessed="true">
    Removing wasPassProcessed="true", made it work again; as it logs last used pass.
    If sysprep sees it, it will quit without logging an error.
    Its added after sysprepping an image, so if you need to xml again, then it needs to be removed

It was a small thing i was unaware the unattend file had been used before and so i had overlooked it.
    While i did compare it on various other points, i just mist it... but glad its solved and by posting the solution other people might find it usefull as well.

• Marked as answer by PGT2008 Tuesday, August 25, 2015 1:59 PM
    • Edited by PGT2008 Tuesday, August 25, 2015 2:02 PM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2015 1:59 PM

All replies

• Ok well i guess i solved it.

It wasnt about panther folder corruption, it wasnt about some package conflict, it wasnt a licence issue.

I had used the minimal unattended.xml   before to finish of other machines.
    And apperantly it wasnt no longer original but in a used state now, this unattend xml.
    Windows 7 WES sysprep, needs to know what phases it has to do next, and so cant be used again.

Suddenly i noticed in the XML at the settings pass.
    <settings pass="generalize" wasPassProcessed="true">
    Removing wasPassProcessed="true", made it work again; as it logs last used pass.
    If sysprep sees it, it will quit without logging an error.
    Its added after sysprepping an image, so if you need to xml again, then it needs to be removed

It was a small thing i was unaware the unattend file had been used before and so i had overlooked it.
    While i did compare it on various other points, i just mist it... but glad its solved and by posting the solution other people might find it usefull as well.

• Marked as answer by PGT2008 Tuesday, August 25, 2015 1:59 PM
    • Edited by PGT2008 Tuesday, August 25, 2015 2:02 PM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2015 1:59 PM
  • This is known, which is why I recommended to create a separate answer file for the sysprep unattended. 

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 3:25 PM