Rotating simulator provides "chunky" layout update

Question

• I have a fairly simple question.

I am currently switching between a list view and a grid view when the app switches between portrait and landscape orientations. However, when I do this on the simulator, the animation between the two is rather chunky. By that I mean that the app rotates, then places the elements in their old locations for a split second before updating the view.

I do not have access to a tablet to test my code, so I am wondering two things:

1. Is this something that mainly plagues the simulator, and will be smoother with a tablet?
    2. Is there a way to maybe prevent the brief display of the old content before it's removed by the event handler?

(in case it makes a difference, I'm using C# and XAML, and currently I'm using a SizeChanged event handler.

Thanks,

Tomas

Friday, August 24, 2012 11:09 PM

Answers

• I saw the same behavior in the Simulator Debugger with my app (which uses SwapChainBackgroundPanel) and was worried it would behave the same in real usage. However, when I ran a release version in Metro and rotated the device, it behaved properly. The window shrinks down a bit then the new orientation is shown and it expands back to full screen in the new orientation. A nice, clean switch.

I'm developing on a Samsung Slate 7 so it was easy to test in real life.

• Marked as answer by T Hofmann Thursday, August 30, 2012 3:21 PM
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 2:34 PM

All replies

• That sounds like a simulator or driver problem. Do you see it with just your app or with others as well?

I don't see any flashing when rotating my physical tablet.

--Rob

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 12:26 AM
    Owner
  • That sounds like a simulator or driver problem. Do you see it with just your app or with others as well?

I don't see any flashing when rotating my physical tablet.

--Rob

It seems to happen to all apps. Basically, it renders its "old" screen for an instant.

It happens to other apps as well (for example the photos app).

I hope it's just the simulator and that it will work well with an actual tablet. I'm curious if this is something other users are experiencing as well?

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 3:12 PM
  • I saw the same behavior in the Simulator Debugger with my app (which uses SwapChainBackgroundPanel) and was worried it would behave the same in real usage. However, when I ran a release version in Metro and rotated the device, it behaved properly. The window shrinks down a bit then the new orientation is shown and it expands back to full screen in the new orientation. A nice, clean switch.

I'm developing on a Samsung Slate 7 so it was easy to test in real life.

• Marked as answer by T Hofmann Thursday, August 30, 2012 3:21 PM
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 2:34 PM
  • That is awesome to hear :)
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 3:21 PM