Windows server 8 only sees 3 out of 4 disks?

Question

• Installed Windows server 8 preview onto an HP Microserver today. Everything looked good until I started looking into the disk pooling functionality. It seems that the disk management snapin only ever shows 3 of the 4 installed drives. They're there in the BIOS and when I start swapping the drives around in the cradles, different combinations show up in disk manager - but only 3 of the 4.

Any ideas or is this one of those pre-beta issues that are bound to start showing up?

Marc.

• Edited by Sevanmarc Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:29 PM
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:13 PM

All replies

• Need a bit more info.  Were you investigating the new Storage Spaces and Pools feature?

Thanks.

Chuck

Chuck Timon Senior, Support Escalation Engineer (SEE) Windows Beta Engineer Microsoft Corporation
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:19 AM
  • After spending a bit more time on this I tracked it down to one specific disk - for some reason it was there in the BIOS but just wasn't visible in windows, even when I booted to the recovery console and used diskpart list disk.

After I flattened the disk using the seagate DOS tools (by using all the "erase" options I could find) the disk started showing up in Windows.

I'm not sure what was unique about that disk verses the others I had - they were all scratch ones I had lying around and they'd all been used in previous systems before but the others showed up fine. It had been used in a ReadyNAS in a previous life but then again so had the others...!

Anyway it works now - I have a question about storage pools but that's another topic!

Marc.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:32 PM
  • Post your question about Storage Spaces and Pools.
    Chuck Timon Senior, Support Escalation Engineer (SEE) Windows Beta Engineer Microsoft Corporation
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:49 PM
  • I actually started a new thread, just to keep things organised since it is a completely different question:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/3bded397-059b-4eef-af4f-215157a1825e

Marc.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:00 PM