none
The current approach to designing new versions of the kinect sdk is unacceptable. RRS feed

• General discussion

• It started with the near sensor. Then exposure and other camera settings followed and now even ForceInfraredEmitterOff is affected; all functions exclude the Kinect 360.

People will not buy a Kinect for Windows if they already have a Kinect 360. 

The Kinect for windows is more expensive because you couldn't rely on games to be bought as representatives stated. But the Kinect 360 is the best selling gadget. You don't have money problems.

Not all of the new properties are hardware-dependent. The near sensor might, some camera features might, but ForceInfraredEmitterOff is not something you cannot use for the Kinect 360.

I want the next SDK to include functions equally for the Kinect 360 and Kinect For Windows.

Thursday, November 8, 2012 7:34 PM

All replies

• Reimund,

Thank you for your feedback, K4W fully supports the Xbox Kinect sensor for development purposes. However, there are firmware differences between the sensors such as Near Mode and Camera settings that are intended to address Windows scenarios not supported on the Xbox 360. The Kinect for Windows sensors also undergo hardware testing and are supported for operations that are not supported on Xbox.

Thanks,

Anson Tsao

Kinect for Windows

Friday, November 9, 2012 4:16 AM
  • Offer a firmware update!
    Friday, November 9, 2012 5:02 PM
  • Documentation documentation. Please document when an API does not work (or does work) on given hardware.

The API documentation for ForceInfraredEmitterOff  in both the C and the C++ sections is lacking:

• nothing indicating that it is a K4W only feature
    • I think both are self-conflicting. they state the default values are false. The default behavior of Kinect is IR emitter on. Therefore false=IR emitter on. Howevr the docs states that false means IR emitter is disabled
    • In the C docs, the APi is split to a get and set. However the docs for each is common/merges and unclear.

I tried to post both feedback community content on the APIs, however the system that accepts it appears to be failing.

--Dale

Friday, November 16, 2012 7:36 PM
  • I'll follow up on this with the doc people
    Saturday, November 17, 2012 4:38 AM
  • why ?

they don't read the forums ?

They should, it will fix many problems.

Maa

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:43 AM