none
MMC (Microsoft Management Console) open htm (not chm) help on F1

Question

• We have an MMC application. Our Help files all got converted to htm files recently. They were originally one chm file. I cannot figure out how to open the new html help files in the default web browser when F1 is pressed for our MMC application. 

The program/project which is embedded into the MMC application is a C# project. In order to open the .chm files, we previously used the below commands in the code

[SnapInHelpTopicAttribute(@"help.chm", ApplicationBaseRelative = true)]

this.RootNode.HelpTopic = @"help.chm::/Home.html";

We were hoping we could just put the path to the new *.html help files in the above code and everything would work; this was not the case.

Apparently this can be done. If you go to Computer Management (found in the following folder: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools) and ...

2. highlight/select the device manager (left frame) and then hit F1, the internet explorer will pop and and display Microsoft help for the Device Manager.

Any advice or help on figuring this out would be greatly appreciated.

• Edited by fractal_c Tuesday, April 18, 2017 10:05 PM
    • Moved by Sean LimingMVP Tuesday, April 18, 2017 11:59 PM Programming issue not OS
    Tuesday, April 18, 2017 10:04 PM

All replies

• Hi fractal_c,

Thank you for posting here.

For your question is more related to MMC, you could post a new thread in Windows Desktop SDK forum for suitable support.

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 9:01 AM
  • Hi Wendy, thanks for the advice. I can move it over to the windows desktop sdk. I am not too sure how to move a question; I might just have to repost. Thanks again for the suggestion.
    Wednesday, April 19, 2017 2:32 PM