Can one self-hosted Integration Runtime support multiple Data Factories? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I successfully created my first ADF V2 in the Azure Portal. Yeah me!

Now I want to create a second one and get really serious. But it doesn't seem to know about the first Self-hosted Integration Runtime that was previously installed. Do I need to install as SECOND one? That seems a bit ridiculous. How can I get my second Azure Data Factory V2 to use/find/accept the first self-hosted Integrated Runtime.

If I install a second one, will it break the first?

Why not call it a Gateway, like in Power BI, which I THOUGHT was supposed to support ADF. Apparently not.

Thanks in advance.

PS. I tried going through the steps to run the express setup and it failed with the message that a self-hosted IR is already installed. So there HAS to be a way.

Todd C - MCSE SQL Server Business Intelligence MCITP BI Dev 2008 MSCTS SQL Server 2005 Please mark posts as answered where appropriate.

• Edited by Todd C Friday, January 26, 2018 8:47 PM
    Friday, January 26, 2018 8:43 PM

Answers

• Hey Todd,

Sef-hosted Integration Runtime today does not support to be sharable among factories. This functionality is being enabled currently and target to be available at Q1CY18. 

It is not supported to install 2 self-hosted IRs at the same machine. 

Self-hosted Integration Runtime has capability not only to copy data among many data sources, load data and schema from many data sources, but also support to kickoff run many modernize transform activities, like Hive/PIG/MapReduce/Steam/MachineLearning/U-SQL activities. Gateway is not the best fit name any more. Also Integration Runtime is part of ADF v2 app model to wrap on-prem compute/public azure compute/vnet compute as a generic concept, not only on-prem.

Btw, we recently released authoring tool for ADF v2, here is the link to use : https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/adf-v2-visual-tools-enabled-in-public-preview/

Thanks,

-Oliver

Oliver Yao - MSFT

• Marked as answer by Todd C Friday, January 26, 2018 11:03 PM
    Friday, January 26, 2018 10:05 PM

All replies

• Hey Todd,

Sef-hosted Integration Runtime today does not support to be sharable among factories. This functionality is being enabled currently and target to be available at Q1CY18. 

It is not supported to install 2 self-hosted IRs at the same machine. 

Self-hosted Integration Runtime has capability not only to copy data among many data sources, load data and schema from many data sources, but also support to kickoff run many modernize transform activities, like Hive/PIG/MapReduce/Steam/MachineLearning/U-SQL activities. Gateway is not the best fit name any more. Also Integration Runtime is part of ADF v2 app model to wrap on-prem compute/public azure compute/vnet compute as a generic concept, not only on-prem.

Btw, we recently released authoring tool for ADF v2, here is the link to use : https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/adf-v2-visual-tools-enabled-in-public-preview/

Thanks,

-Oliver

Oliver Yao - MSFT

• Marked as answer by Todd C Friday, January 26, 2018 11:03 PM
    Friday, January 26, 2018 10:05 PM
  • Thanks for the prompt response.

Todd C - MCSE SQL Server Business Intelligence MCITP BI Dev 2008 MSCTS SQL Server 2005 Please mark posts as answered where appropriate.

Friday, January 26, 2018 11:03 PM
  • Hi - we are waiting on the sharable self hosted IR to work with dev and prod pipelines using the same IR...

... and Q1 CY2018 is already through.

Any news on this topic

Thanks Stefan

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 1:08 PM
  • Found this thread today because I am facing the exact same issue. How do I deploy dev and prod factories when I don't see a way to parameterize the self hosted IR. Hopefully sharing will be enabled very soon.

Anyone know how to enable dev/prod deployments from the same template file without sharing the same IR?

Friday, June 1, 2018 10:34 PM
  • Shareable IR feature is currently in limited preview. ETA for this feature to be publicly available is July 2018.

In case you would like to enroll for the Preview, please fill in this Form.

Monday, June 4, 2018 1:56 PM