none
Should I use orchestration RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently in the process of porting an existing application (Biztalk 2004) to a newer version of Biztalk. The current solution takes multiple types of EDI documents, modifies it if its necessary and sends it to our legacy system to be loaded and processed.

This process is developed using a combination of Receive Ports, Pipeline component, Send Ports and Maps, Schema and Message Queue Components. This solution uses 10 send & receive ports to handle various aspects of the process such as Bursting EDI into individual messages, Transforming Messages, Error handling, Edi Validation and Batching of Edi Messages. All the modification of EDI is done using Message Queue Components.

This solution does NOT use orchestration at all. I am considering implementing the current solution as a Biztalk orchestration. I have read up a bit on orchestrations and worked thru few sample applications. But I am still very confused over what benefit of using orchestration, if a solution can be developed without it. I am sure I am missing something here. What additional benefit orchestration gives that the current solution does not?

Thursday, May 22, 2014 3:32 PM

Answers

• The use of Orchestrations are sort of religious when it comes to BizTalk desgin, so I'm just going to leverage what I think:

The use of Orchestrations is never a goal in itself. They should be used if required. In other words: If your integrations cannot be done through simple Content-Based Routing using Pipelines, Maps, Ports and Subscriptions then you start to look into Orchestrations.

Morten la Cour

• Marked as answer by DR_WHO_14 Friday, May 23, 2014 12:04 PM
    Thursday, May 22, 2014 5:46 PM

All replies

• The use of Orchestrations are sort of religious when it comes to BizTalk desgin, so I'm just going to leverage what I think:

The use of Orchestrations is never a goal in itself. They should be used if required. In other words: If your integrations cannot be done through simple Content-Based Routing using Pipelines, Maps, Ports and Subscriptions then you start to look into Orchestrations.

Morten la Cour

• Marked as answer by DR_WHO_14 Friday, May 23, 2014 12:04 PM
    Thursday, May 22, 2014 5:46 PM
  • Thanks for your opinion, It's similar to what I feel at the moment. I was concerned if there was something I am missing by not using Orchestrations. I am also wondering if orchestration is required or is helpful, if I want to use BAM reporting?
    Thursday, May 22, 2014 5:51 PM
  • There are BAM interceptors in Pipelines executed in Ports, so no: Orchestrations are also not a requirement for BAM.

Morten la Cour

Thursday, May 22, 2014 5:56 PM
  • Thank you, That definitely helped
    Thursday, May 22, 2014 6:41 PM