none
Vbulletin Remote Login

Question

• I am trying to make a login for vbulletin through a windows application using mysql but whatever i tried has failed, i can connect with the database but i cannot find the password table, since vbulletin has md5 on their passwords.Do you think you can help me with this?It would be really nice and i would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dollar1

Sunday, July 17, 2011 12:47 AM

Answers

• Hello Dollar1,

Thanks for your post.

What do you mean "i cannot find the password table"? Could you please describe this problem more specific? Based on my understanding, the main concern is about how to encrypt the password in mysql database. Is it so? Below links describes how to implement encrypted passwords using MD5. Please check, hope them helpful.

http://isdrone.blogspot.com/2008/01/using-md5-to-encrypt-passwords-in_18.html (Using MD5 to Encrypt Passwords in a Database, Part 2 )

http://www.dotnetspider.com/resources/30280-Encryption-Decryption-Password-using-VB-NET.aspx (how to encrypt and decrypt using MD5 algorithm)

If you have any concerns, please feel free to follow up.

Have a nice day.

Best regards

Liliane Teng [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Liliane Teng Tuesday, August 09, 2011 6:48 AM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 10:32 AM
  • The fact that the password table uses MD5 should be of no concern.

But the question here is what exactly are you trying to do? You imply you have access to the servers database: is this correct? To login, you would use a password which will be MD5 hashed and compared to your hashed password in the database.

Bottom line is, what are you exactly trying to do, as your comment regarding access to a passwords table is troubling.

Stephen J Whiteley
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 12:05 PM

All replies

• Hello Dollar1,

Thanks for your post.

What do you mean "i cannot find the password table"? Could you please describe this problem more specific? Based on my understanding, the main concern is about how to encrypt the password in mysql database. Is it so? Below links describes how to implement encrypted passwords using MD5. Please check, hope them helpful.

http://isdrone.blogspot.com/2008/01/using-md5-to-encrypt-passwords-in_18.html (Using MD5 to Encrypt Passwords in a Database, Part 2 )

http://www.dotnetspider.com/resources/30280-Encryption-Decryption-Password-using-VB-NET.aspx (how to encrypt and decrypt using MD5 algorithm)

If you have any concerns, please feel free to follow up.

Have a nice day.

Best regards

Liliane Teng [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 10:32 AM
  • The fact that the password table uses MD5 should be of no concern.

But the question here is what exactly are you trying to do? You imply you have access to the servers database: is this correct? To login, you would use a password which will be MD5 hashed and compared to your hashed password in the database.

Bottom line is, what are you exactly trying to do, as your comment regarding access to a passwords table is troubling.

Stephen J Whiteley
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 12:05 PM
  • Hi Dollar1,

What about this problem on your side now? If you have any concerns, please feel free to follow up.

Have a nice day.

Best regards

Liliane Teng [MSFT]

Sunday, July 24, 2011 12:45 PM