VS 2012 Workflow designer IOException Process cannot access the file RRS feed

• Question

• When using the Workflow designer and using the expresson editor to enter c# expressions we are getting the IOException error when we click on the OK or Cancel button. If we edit the expression in the properties everything works.

Using VS Ultimate 2012 with Update 2.  This is new workflow using C#.

Anyone know what is cauing this error?

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 2:49 PM

All replies

• I may have just found the fix. In Tools\Options\Projects and Solututions\Build and Run my maximum number of parallel builds was set to 8. Changed the value to 1 and in the few tests I tried it did not occur.  

Lets see if I can get through the day without the error coming back.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 2:56 PM
  • Thought it was fixed yesterday but it is back today same error when using the  Expression editor even with the build and run changes.

Anyone esle getting this problem?   

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 2:23 PM
  • Hi,

From the error message, you could try to follow these thread, they may help you to fix your problem.

Please check: http://forums.asp.net/t/1090053.aspx/1

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/csharpgeneral/thread/6be74098-72ba-472f-ad04-6a0e0faf8132/ 

If it doesn't help, would you please share the code that cause this error ? Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Chen Yu
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 10:15 AM
  • Hi Chen,

Thanks for your reply but both those solutions assume that is it my code that is throwing the error. This error is being thrown by the Visual Studio workflow designer when I am using the C# Experssion editor so have no control over this.

Is this a known issue in VS 2012  with C# and Workflows?  

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:59 AM
  • Hi,

As I don't find any KB or MSBLOG to fix this issue, I am not sure this is a known issue in vs 2012.

From those similar thread, I think it is related to the code you use in C#, is it possible that you error part code?

Regards,

Chen Yu
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:37 AM
  • Been a few days and it jsut happened again.

Was editing a simple OOTB WF Assign activity using the Expression Editor and I got the errror. When I then go and Enter the code in the Properties (value field) it works perfectly. Once the file in use error happens if I open the experssion editor and click on either Ok or Cancel I will get the error everytime. I have no idea how it can be something in my code.  

bioQueryRequestMessage =

System.Web.

HttpUtility.UrlDecode(bioQueryRequestString).XmlDeserialize<BioQueryInitRequest>()

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 1:48 PM
  • Hi, 

I've got the same error. In my case it happened even more often for example when I copy and paste activities with C# Expressions. 

Also I've created a stackoverflow question for issues that i get. 

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24651050/workflow-designer-asking-for-generated-file-reload-every-time-c-sharp-expression

• Edited by salcio1984 Wednesday, July 9, 2014 10:43 AM
    Wednesday, July 9, 2014 8:38 AM
  • This might seem like a dumb question, but are you running Visual Studio in administrator mode?
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 4:29 PM