Is there a Video player in Windows Developer Preview?

Question

• Is there any video player in the current version of Windows 8 Developer Preview ?
    I tried Media Player but it doesn't recognize the movie I'm adding in the DVD device.
    It's an original movie

I also tried to play the .vob but it pops a message asking to search the application store and when I do, it's a black screen of course because it's not yet available but

I'm just wondering if any player for movie is working ?

Marcheur extrême...
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 2:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• Not all the features are included in the Windows 8 Developer Preview.

From the Building Windows 8 blog:
    NOTE: The preview build does not include every feature shown this morning.  Shown but not in the Developer Preview release include the Windows Store, Windows Live Metro style apps, and some of the user interface features.  The focus of the preview is the API and development tools for building Metro style apps.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/13/welcome-to-windows-8-the-developer-preview.aspx

There are many programs you can download that will play DVDs. VLC is a popular one.

Sunday, October 2, 2011 4:00 PM
  • Try other players like Media Player Classic HC or VLC
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Sunday, October 2, 2011 4:01 PM
  • Thank you

Marcheur extrême...
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 8:53 PM
  • VLC is riddled with adware. I tried it, still no codecs for DVDs, then I could not uninstall everything. Had to do a system restore.

In answer to other posts I tried W8 out of interest and to check my s/w works, which it does. Not surprisingly. I will now work on the metro. But is it not also valid to just play with it and feed back any problems?

I have a final question, probably I should ask it somewhere else. In March it switches itself off. But I rather like it. When will we be able to buy it?

David

David
    Sunday, December 4, 2011 3:23 PM
  • I was wrong about VLC. There are a lot of sites that offer VLC downloads polluted with adware and toolbars etc. but if you get it from the originators, VideoLAN then it works just fine in W8

David
    Saturday, December 10, 2011 1:52 PM