File Explorer in VS2005 incredibly slow RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to navigate down the directory structure using the file/open drop down in VS2005, it takes about 30 seconds to navigate down each level of the directory structure. If the level I want is 6 levels down it wastes 3 minutes getting there.
    Saturday, February 17, 2007 1:18 PM

Answers

• Thank you for the suggestions. In fact I am running VS2005 locally and not using the Source Code Explorer at all. The File/Open/File drop down was what I was referring to. A few random remarks made me think of mapped drives, and it turns out that I had one connecting through a VPN. There was no problem when the VPN was connected, but when it is disconnected that's where the 30 seconds delay happens. It doesn't affect the windows file explorer in the same way however. Anyway, disconnecting the mapped drive fixed the problem.
    Tuesday, February 20, 2007 7:43 PM

All replies

• I'll assume you mean the Source Code Explorer as opposed to the "File Explorer".  Is this performance issue only happening on one Team Explorer client? Do you have the rights to try to reproduce this issue on the TFS server itself? This would eliminate network and/or client side issues.

Monday, February 19, 2007 12:10 PM
  • Thank you for the suggestions. In fact I am running VS2005 locally and not using the Source Code Explorer at all. The File/Open/File drop down was what I was referring to. A few random remarks made me think of mapped drives, and it turns out that I had one connecting through a VPN. There was no problem when the VPN was connected, but when it is disconnected that's where the 30 seconds delay happens. It doesn't affect the windows file explorer in the same way however. Anyway, disconnecting the mapped drive fixed the problem.
    Tuesday, February 20, 2007 7:43 PM