Clipboard in Windows Phone 8.1 app

Question

• I have an app that needs to programmatically copy text onto the clipboard, in response to a button tap. I expected to use something like System.Windows.ClipBoard.SetText(string), which isn't supported (on Windows Phone 8.1. 'Clipboard' is not a member of 'Windows'). In fact there's nothing in the Windows Phone 8.1 API that's called 'clipboard'.

Searching both here and online doesn't yield much. Is a Clipboard API simply not part of 8.1? If so, is there a work-around other than displaying the text and expecting the user to copy it by hand?

Monday, August 11, 2014 9:18 PM

Answers

• Hello Micheal,

I have developed a temporary solution for devs willing to access the clipboard in Windows Phone 8.1 apps. Please follow my sample by viewing my samples. For some reason I am unable to post the link here.

Hope this helps,

Saeed

Saturday, November 15, 2014 9:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

Clipboard APIs are available only on windows phone Silverlight project and not available on windows phone runtime project. The following blog post shows how to choose application model for your windows phone app. See more from http://blogs.msdn.com/b/thunbrynt/archive/2014/04/15/windows-phone-8-1-for-developers-choose-your-windows-phone-xaml-app-model.aspx.

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 9:31 AM
  • Thanks. Not sure how I missed that blog post. Another thing the Windows Phone Silverlight projects support that's not supported by store apps is System.Data.Linq.
    Tuesday, August 12, 2014 11:15 AM
  • Hello Micheal,

I have developed a temporary solution for devs willing to access the clipboard in Windows Phone 8.1 apps. Please follow my sample by viewing my samples. For some reason I am unable to post the link here.

Hope this helps,

Saeed

Saturday, November 15, 2014 9:42 AM
  • Saeed thanks, that's REALLY helpful! Will try it out.That said, my app is now built using WP Silverlight, so not about to start from scratch. But it's a candidate for version 2. Wish I'd known this 4 months ago.

Saturday, November 15, 2014 3:54 PM