Visual Studio 2017 report printing issues - hangs up and wont print or cancel printing RRS feed

• Question

• Running VS 2017 and trying to print a report in preview mode.  Wont print and when I finally try to cancel it wont cancel the print job either.  I can kill Visual Studio via task manager, but where would these errors be showing up in a log file?

Also, Ive uploaded the rdl to a SSRS server and also have printing issues (with this report), other reports print ok.  I believe it has something to do with page breaks.  There are 3 or 4 different tablixes on this report and they each have a pagebreak set "before" on each.  After checking the ssrs server log I see an entry such as this:

processing!ReportServer_0-386!22ac!02/23/2018-07:48:46:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.ReportProcessingException: , Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.ReportProcessingException: There is no data for the field at position 12.;

[ solution ]

Ok, looks like I managed to resolve it, but im not sure why.  I had two columns set to be hidden on one of the tablixes.  After much searching, I came across several posts that included various combinations of hard pagebreaks and "hidden things", so I simply deleted those columns which werent really needed and bang, printing problems went away. 

I would still like to know where errors are logged via ssrs reports when previewing them in Visual Studio

• Edited by shiftbit Friday, February 23, 2018 2:49 PM asdfsdf
    Friday, February 23, 2018 2:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This error message is usually caused by a missing field in the dataset (it is defined in the dataset, but the query does not return it). It is OK if you don't use the field in your report. But if you do, then you'd get a "#error" in the textbox, or the report fails if it's used in a group/sort/filter expression.

BR,

Henry 

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 6:58 AM