none
Missing 3-D Rotation RRS feed

• Question

• A Word docx has come to me where some text has a 3-D rotation (Off axis 1 left) but Word 2013 displays that text non-rotated. I've tried duplicating this from scratch but my new text always does appear rotated. I need to know what in the docx is causing this for our application that displays docx on another platform.

If this is the wrong forum let me know where would be appropriate.

Thursday, October 8, 2015 5:15 PM

Answers

• Hello Howard,

I have reviewed the test case you submitted and compared to my own that I generated. Even with a simple test case there were quite a few differences but I believe I have found the one that is relevant and makes the behavior different.

In the test submitted by you, the bodyPr that contains the scene3d element contains the upright="1" attribute. This attribute is missing from my test case that works (i.e. the text is rotated). When I change the attribute to upright="0" in your document, it also rotates the text.

Here is the snippet of the relevant elements from your test case:

<wps:bodyPr rot="0" vert="horz" wrap="square" lIns="91440" tIns="45720" rIns="91440" bIns="45720" numCol="1" anchor="t" anchorCtr="0" upright="1">
     <a:noAutofit/>
     <a:scene3d>
       <a:camera prst="isometricOffAxis1Left"/>
       <a:lightRig rig="threePt" dir="t"/>
     </a:scene3d>
      </wps:bodyPr>

Here is the description of the upright attribute from the ISO/IEC 29500-1:2012 specification:

20.4.2.22 bodyPr (Body Properties)

upright (Text Upright) Specifies whether text should remain upright, regardless of the transform applied to it and the accompanying shape transform. If this attribute is omitted, then a value of 0, or false is implied. The possible values for this attribute are defined by the W3C XML Schema boolean datatype.

Please let me know if you can test this change and if it produces the same result.

Thanks,
    Kamil Sykora

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 2:37 PM

All replies

• Hi Howard:

I have alerted the open specifications team regarding your inquiry. A member of the team will be in touch soon.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi

Thursday, October 8, 2015 7:21 PM
    Owner
  • Hello Howard,

Do I understand it correctly that you are the developer of the application that reads the .docx file and displays the rotated text? If so, can you clarify which elements your application is reading that is causing it to display the text rotated? Can you provide a snippet of the relevant elements?

Thank you,
    Kamil Sykora

Thursday, October 8, 2015 7:50 PM
  • I'm on the team for the application that reads the docx and displays the rotated text.

Here are the elements that I'd like to know why Word is ignoring.

Thursday, October 8, 2015 8:31 PM
  • Hello Howard,

There might be interactions with several other potential elements. Would you be able to send me the problematic .docx file so I can review the full set of containing elements? If you can, please send it to dochelp@microsoft.com to my attention.

Thanks,
    Kamil Sykora

Friday, October 9, 2015 3:03 PM
  • Sent the problematic docx to dochelp@microsoft.com on Friday Oct 9.

H.

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 2:57 PM
  • Hello Howard,

I received your file on Friday and I am currently researching your question.

Thanks,
    Kamil Sykora

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 5:32 PM
  • Hello Howard,

I have reviewed the test case you submitted and compared to my own that I generated. Even with a simple test case there were quite a few differences but I believe I have found the one that is relevant and makes the behavior different.

In the test submitted by you, the bodyPr that contains the scene3d element contains the upright="1" attribute. This attribute is missing from my test case that works (i.e. the text is rotated). When I change the attribute to upright="0" in your document, it also rotates the text.

Here is the snippet of the relevant elements from your test case:

<wps:bodyPr rot="0" vert="horz" wrap="square" lIns="91440" tIns="45720" rIns="91440" bIns="45720" numCol="1" anchor="t" anchorCtr="0" upright="1">
     <a:noAutofit/>
      </wps:bodyPr>

Here is the description of the upright attribute from the ISO/IEC 29500-1:2012 specification:

20.4.2.22 bodyPr (Body Properties)

upright (Text Upright) Specifies whether text should remain upright, regardless of the transform applied to it and the accompanying shape transform. If this attribute is omitted, then a value of 0, or false is implied. The possible values for this attribute are defined by the W3C XML Schema boolean datatype.

Please let me know if you can test this change and if it produces the same result.

Thanks,
    Kamil Sykora

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 2:37 PM