none
Azure SQL Reporting Service Pricing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Can someone explain how the Reporting Service usage will be billed? Our requirement is that the reports can be viewed by user anytime on ad-hoc basis on the asp.net page which uses ReportViewer?

We want to migrate one of our web application which displays Reports using SSRS in reportviewer control. This web application will be up always and users can go view reports on ad-hoc basis. While working out the cost analysis for migrating this web application to Azure along with reporting funtionality, the cost for using SQL Reporting service on azure is coming out $633 per month which is very high. Please confirm whether our cost calculation is right or are there any workarounds possible to reduce this such a high cost?

Thanks and Regards,

Shilpa

Friday, July 6, 2012 6:49 AM

Answers

• Hi,

if I calculate running a reporting instance 24 hours on 30 days it is indeed $633/month. Some questions you could ask yourself:

• Do you really need a reporting instance running 24/7 or just at special dates or peak times?
    • Is it cheaper to have an on-premise SQL Server running a reporting instance?

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

Friday, July 6, 2012 11:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

if I calculate running a reporting instance 24 hours on 30 days it is indeed $633/month. Some questions you could ask yourself:

• Do you really need a reporting instance running 24/7 or just at special dates or peak times?
    • Is it cheaper to have an on-premise SQL Server running a reporting instance?

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

Friday, July 6, 2012 11:47 AM
  • Indeed, $633 per month is ridiculously high. We've been using Azure platform extensively but will begin to serioulsy look at alternatives now.

Microsoft: you seriously dropped the ball here.

Friday, July 13, 2012 2:52 PM
  • Indeed, $633 per month is ridiculously high. We've been using Azure platform extensively but will begin to serioulsy look at alternatives now.

Microsoft: you seriously dropped the ball here.

I too am looking for alternatives for the Reporting Services.  I currently have my database on Azure.  Does anyone have any recommendation on which hosting company to use the Reporting Services?  I do not mind shared hosting as reporting is not a big element for me, but I need it daily.

Best regards,

CT

Monday, July 16, 2012 9:57 AM
  • I appreciate the questions you note - but you provide no alternatives. 

Do I really need a reporting instances running 24/7? No. Do I need a solution to support a small group of users in their reporting needs on an ad-hoc basis? Yes. We have invested significant time and energy moving our data into azure and are left with no good options to report for them.

So for a small shop ramping up on azure architecture and design help us understand alternatives rather than sending us down a dead end question path.

(frustrated with an unplanned $650 bill when we ran TWO reports)

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 4:47 AM
  • You might want to vote this ""idea"" up:

http://www.mygreatwindowsazureidea.com/forums/169380-business-analytics-sql-reporting/suggestions/2913526-reduce-the-price-633-month-for-on-demand-reporti

Would be great to have Microsoft share some light on that matter considering this has become the single most requested "feature" for SQL Azure Reporting.

My frustration only builds up at every new monthly bill I got...

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 5:04 AM
  • We are actively working on a new pricing model for Windows Azure SQL reporting that will better serve customers who have lower volume reporting needs. We expect to publish information on the new pricing model in the next couple weeks.  We wish to thank all of the users who provided feedback about this topic.  We’re working to address your feedback.

Evan

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 2:47 AM