Edit resources and see effects without switching RRS feed

• Question

• Not sure if this has been covered at all, but couldn't find anything under a few obvious searches.

I have noticed in Blend, that if I attempt to edit a resource held in a resource dictionary in one project in a solution, I am unable to get a feel for the effect it will have on the appearance of a higher level object that uses that resource in another without switching back and forth between them. Are there any plan to be able to edit a resource while keeping another item that uses it in the artboard?

What is the correct approach to resolving the link between the theme resources in one project and other projects that use them so that blend is happy?

Thanks,

Max
    Thursday, July 17, 2008 12:52 PM

Answers

• Howdy,

Contextual editing of resources is limited in Blend which has been a topic of discussion, and even more so is the ability to edit a usercontrol in context with it parent.

I have this issue a lot, so what I find works well is to create local copies of style templates first, and this gives you the context with in-place editing. When I am 95% sure its done, I then move the style to a resource dictionary vault which contains categorised resource dictionaries (RDButtons, RDCombos etc). As long as you have a link to those resource dictionaries, you shouldnt need to change a thing after moving the styles as the name should be resolved by Blend. After that, tweaks are a minor thing that dont really need a lot of contextual support in these terms.

If your resource dictionaries are in one project and your working items in another, you should only need to have a valid project reference for Blend to be able to resolve the names, given you also have a link in your XAML to the resource dictionaries.

Once you have a project reference, you should be able to also open the Resources tab and link your current items to the specific resource dictionary (which creates a pack URI in your XAML). From here you can apply the resources to elements as well you should be able to see the resource dictionary files in your asset library under standard controls etc.

I hope it becomes a more user friendly scenario in versions to come.

HTH

Cheers

Expression MVP

Learn Expression Blend at learnexpressionstudio.com

my blog : http://x-coders.com/blogs/sneaky/default.aspx

Thursday, July 17, 2008 1:21 PM

All replies

• Howdy,

Contextual editing of resources is limited in Blend which has been a topic of discussion, and even more so is the ability to edit a usercontrol in context with it parent.

I have this issue a lot, so what I find works well is to create local copies of style templates first, and this gives you the context with in-place editing. When I am 95% sure its done, I then move the style to a resource dictionary vault which contains categorised resource dictionaries (RDButtons, RDCombos etc). As long as you have a link to those resource dictionaries, you shouldnt need to change a thing after moving the styles as the name should be resolved by Blend. After that, tweaks are a minor thing that dont really need a lot of contextual support in these terms.

If your resource dictionaries are in one project and your working items in another, you should only need to have a valid project reference for Blend to be able to resolve the names, given you also have a link in your XAML to the resource dictionaries.

Once you have a project reference, you should be able to also open the Resources tab and link your current items to the specific resource dictionary (which creates a pack URI in your XAML). From here you can apply the resources to elements as well you should be able to see the resource dictionary files in your asset library under standard controls etc.

I hope it becomes a more user friendly scenario in versions to come.

HTH

Cheers

Expression MVP

Learn Expression Blend at learnexpressionstudio.com

my blog : http://x-coders.com/blogs/sneaky/default.aspx

Thursday, July 17, 2008 1:21 PM
  • Thanks once again. I certainly hope they improve this too.

Max
    Friday, July 18, 2008 7:30 AM