none
Running .Net Application in a Docker Container RRS feed

• Question

• I have a COTS Product that runs as a windows service on a Windows 2012 or 2016 Server. This is a .Net 4.5 based application. Unfortunately, I do not have the option of re-architecting this application because I do not have access to the source code.

This is the main issue. The windows service application is dependent on Windows Registry. The service reads from and write to windows registry.

I'd like to run multiple instances of the same service on the same host. But, if I do that, I'll have multiple services writing to the same windows registry keys and that would create runtime problems.

Is there a way to containerize this type of application without re-architecting it?

Thursday, August 30, 2018 11:02 PM

Answers

• Every container has it's own version of OS it's running in so registry is access from multiple applications will not be an issue since they don't run inside the same container.
    Friday, August 31, 2018 3:08 AM

All replies

• Every container has it's own version of OS it's running in so registry is access from multiple applications will not be an issue since they don't run inside the same container.
    Friday, August 31, 2018 3:08 AM
  • Thanks. This is how I understand your response. Each container will have it's own windows registry. So, even if I run multiple containers on the same host, each container will run exactly one instance of the application. So, each application will see it's own registry in the container which is independent from the windows registry hive of the host or other containers.
    Friday, August 31, 2018 4:16 PM
  • Yes. Simple way to make also single threaded application to be multi threaded if needed.
    Friday, August 31, 2018 4:20 PM