VM XP in windows 7, Open Network machine with machineName is not working RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Friends,

In VitualMachine Xp Screen on Windows 7,

Run->Open      \\IP Address is Ok, like  \\192.168.5.5

But if i put Machine name it is saying network path not found.

Run->Open    \\Computer-7

I want open the computer with name, bcz our network is blank  IP Address.

Any body having any idea. Please help that.

Thanks

• Edited by Reddiyar Thursday, March 29, 2012 5:59 AM
    • Moved by Bob Wu-MT Monday, April 2, 2012 6:14 AM (From:Windows Forms General)
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 5:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

first of all I have to tell you, that this forum is a developer forum targeting the Windows Forms - which is a technology part of .Net Framework. Your question is better asked in a technet forum (But look carefully to find a forum where your question is on topic)!

It sounds like a not working name resolution. But you could check that if you just try a command like ping computer-7 or so.
    (It could also be something else e.g. it could be possible that ipv6 is tried but it is not correctly configured or so!)

In general there are 3 different possibilities to allow windows to get an ip adress for a given computer:

a) Hosts file - inside the windows\System32\drivers\etc directory you can find a file hosts. Just edit this file with notepad and add a line for each computer in this format: ip-adress name   e.g. 192.168.1.10 Computer-7

b) DNS Server - You can set up a DNS Server, make sure that each computer is using that DNS Server in his IP Config and then enter the systems inside your DNS Server

c) WINS Server - this is some older technology which you migth want to look up.

In general I would always suggest to carefully read about TCP/IP networks if you want to administer such a network. You can find a lot of basics on Technet but regarding ipv4 I would even suggest to read the network administration guide (a linux document but it explmains the basics, too) and a redbook from IBM. (But I have to confess, that I read those books like 10 years in the past. I am not sure that they are still available for free. But it is worth looking them up!)

With kind regards,

Konrad

Thursday, March 29, 2012 7:45 AM
  • The root problem has to be fixed by your Network DNS server.

If you wanted to fix using a local redirect do the following.

1. Go to folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

2. Open the hosts file inside it using notepad

3. Add the following line into it:

192.168.5.5       computer-7

4. Save the file and now try entering \\computer-7

Resolving n Evolving in C# (http://jeanpaulva.com)

Thursday, March 29, 2012 7:46 AM
  • Hi Reddiyar,

What VM are you using? VMware or TextVM?

This is forum for Visual Studio Windows Forms programming issue, the question you posted is off topic here. You may post the question on VM forum or Windows Operation System forum to get better support. But before that, maybe this article would give you some help: http://blogs.technet.com/b/windows_vpc/archive/2009/12/07/networking-in-windows-virtual-pc.aspx

Helen Zhou [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:51 AM