how to enable Arabic language in microsoft expression design? RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I am trying to write in Arabic letters in the MS expression design but it looks that MSE design assumes that Arabic language is a left-to-right one; it sorts the letters starting from left without connecting them (Arabic letter must be always connected to each other)

please, can you guys guide how can i fix this problem?

I'll be waiting for your replies.

thank you.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 10:25 PM

All replies

• any help please.
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 7:26 AM
  • This question comes up every once in a while but I don't remember the answer. I'll see if I can find out.

Annie
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 4:50 PM
  • sadon, it appears that Design will only create text from left to right. You might try doing a search using the text box in the upper right hand corner of this page. Other people have found solutions that worked for them.

As far as connecting letters, have you tried using the Tracking feature?

Annie
    • Proposed as answer by TONI00963 Saturday, January 29, 2011 8:33 PM
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 5:00 PM
  • If you have no better options left, you can try writing in Word, and then using copy and "paste special" in Design, choosing paste as "windows metafile".

I have tried with word 2010 and at first I didn't get an exact copy, but a mess. I have then in word applied a border to the letters, this will probably turn the letters into shapes in word, so that when pasting them in Design, they are pasted as paths and keep any feature like connections and so on. If you have word 2007 or 2003, you can use smartarts to draw letters as paths, just pick the simpler template, one without shades or distortions applied.

Words will be pasted as one big path. If you need to work indipendently on each word/group of letters, select the text and click "divide paths" in the object menu to separate them. (You can use make compound path or group to revert the separations)

It is not handy, but it is better than nothing.

Friday, October 8, 2010 4:34 PM
  • Thank you Annie Ford for the reply.

I am not sure what the Tracking feature is. Is it something I can find in Expression Design or a term to search for?

Monday, October 11, 2010 9:04 AM
  • any help please Annie Ford.
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 8:07 AM
  • I have the same problem in Microsoft Expression Design 4.
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 8:34 PM
  • Hi,

Maybe you must write the sentence in more appreciate way, so you must type your letter from the last letter to the first letter. 

Thursday, February 3, 2011 4:44 PM