What is "system watchdog timer" ? RRS feed

• Question

• I get the following in the event log:

Source: HAL

Event ID: 13

"The system watchdog timer was triggered."

Level: Error

OpCode : Info

What does this mean? Is this just a notification or it can cause a bugcheck?

Thanks,

-- pa

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 12:52 PM

Answers

• Here is the spec for the Hardware Watchdog Timer

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 5:48 PM
  • Yes, a watchdog entry in the event log means that the system was reset by the watchdog timer expiring

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

• Marked as answer by Pavel A Saturday, December 1, 2018 2:27 AM
    Wednesday, November 28, 2018 9:18 PM

All replies

• Here is the spec for the Hardware Watchdog Timer

-Brian

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 5:48 PM
  • Thank you Brian. 

So from this document, the watchdog can either reset or shut down the machine, if I understand correctly.

If this event occurs, does it mean that the last reboot reason was the watchdog?  This is not obvious from my event log.

-- pa

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 9:00 PM
  • Yes, a watchdog entry in the event log means that the system was reset by the watchdog timer expiring

-Brian

• Marked as answer by Pavel A Saturday, December 1, 2018 2:27 AM
    Wednesday, November 28, 2018 9:18 PM