Problem Using bootstrap installer and registration RRS feed

• Question

• I read through the newgroup hoping to find a solution but ...

Here's the system:
    AMD 64 dual core - Dual processor - 8GB RAM - 80GB free drive space
    Running XP64

Here's the scenario:
    1. Was able to surf the web, start the download of VB Express but the bootstrap wouldn't download any data.
    2. Followed the instructions and downloaded the .img file, then installed from the CD image.
    3. VB Express installed fine, ran it and the Info window in the center says I have no internet connection.  Of course I'm surfing the net while the message is up.
    4. Tried to register and the pages keep failing to come up.  I even tried going to profile.microsoft.com and got a failure.  Tried it out on another system that I plugged into the same switch port and it worked fine.
    5. So obviously the problem is on the XP64 machine any thoughts?

To recap, this system can surf the net, download email, even download the CD image of vb express.  What it can't do is get any data through the bootstrap installer or register.

Oh yeah - I've turned off the Microsoft firewall just in case it was in the way.

Here's hoping someone already solved this problem

Don
    Wednesday, September 28, 2005 8:08 PM

Answers

• Looks like we've solved the problem.  It appears (though I wouldn't stake my check on it) as though the problem was in IE.  All the proxy settings were filled in except the Socks proxy, though the "Use the same proxy server for all protocols" was checked.  Anyway, I turned off the checkbox on "Use the same proxy ..." and manually filled in the Socks Proxy, now it seems to work fine.

Don

Friday, September 30, 2005 1:36 PM

All replies

• With respect to registration, can you provide the URL and the exact failure?
    Thursday, September 29, 2005 6:29 PM
  • Looks like we've solved the problem.  It appears (though I wouldn't stake my check on it) as though the problem was in IE.  All the proxy settings were filled in except the Socks proxy, though the "Use the same proxy server for all protocols" was checked.  Anyway, I turned off the checkbox on "Use the same proxy ..." and manually filled in the Socks Proxy, now it seems to work fine.

Don

Friday, September 30, 2005 1:36 PM