Windows Media Player 11 Destroys ID3 Tag of Mp3 files (Caught Red-handed) RRS feed

• Question

• I have suspected this problem for a long time. But, have no proof until today. The bug in Windows Media Player 11 is that if you open a group of mp3 files and play it in "Now Playing", stop, don't close and don't touch WMP11 for 2 hours, you will find that all information in ID3 Tag of these mp3 files are destroyed. They becomes blank.

At first, I have no proof. But, the problem have been replicated today. I caught it red-handed.

WMP11 is a great improvement and a breakthrough right now. But, this kind of flaw is unacceptable. Someone on the development team should investigate this to solve this bug. Thanks.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 8:44 PM

Answers

• Hi Kevin,

I just wanted to add that we were aware of this bug and this bug has been fixed in the upcoming RC1 build of Windows Media Player. And thanks for reporting this issue!

Thanks,
    Prakash Channagiri

Thursday, August 31, 2006 7:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Kevin,

You were probably looking to make your post here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/community/newsgroups/WindowsMedia/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player&lang=en&cr=US; this forum is about the new multimedia platform for Windows Vista.

But I will pass along this information to the Windows Media Player team so they can investigate.  Thanks for reporting bugs!

Becky

Thursday, August 31, 2006 3:15 PM
  • Hi Kevin,

I just wanted to add that we were aware of this bug and this bug has been fixed in the upcoming RC1 build of Windows Media Player. And thanks for reporting this issue!

Thanks,
    Prakash Channagiri

Thursday, August 31, 2006 7:42 PM
  • Thanks. The Beta 2 crashes a lot when skipping to the next song. Adding album to library is a completely mess. WMP 11 can't even read the ID3v2 tag. It doesn't recognize the track number, title, album, etc. in the mp3 file and add in junk data like raw file name as the title. All tracks numbers become 0. You can do experiment yourself and see. 

I guess it is because the WMP11 Beta 2 suddenly removes support of mp3 file's compressed tag. Why do they do that? I don't get it. There are a ton of people are suffering the same problem.

This build even worse compared to Beta 1

Just want to let you guys know.

Thursday, August 31, 2006 10:33 PM
  • Regarding the ID3 tag bugs, the fix did not make it into the WMP11 Beta 2 build but it did make it into the WMP in the Vista RC1 build. The RC1 build will be out soon (if it hasnt already been made available that is).

Thanks,
    Prakash Channagiri

Friday, September 1, 2006 6:57 PM
  • was the id3 tag bug ever fixed, i'm using the latest version as of today and it just happened to me...grrrr.  All tags just vanished over 4000 songs.  All other applications seem to see the tags just not WMP oe Windows Explorer.
    Wednesday, December 13, 2006 9:09 PM
  •  

That is a load of horse ***.  Look at the date of this post!!!!  The damn bug still isn't fixed!!!!!
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 7:44 PM
  • Hi Becky,

I am using Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit version on my laptop. For past few months my WMP11 is not playing mpeg, mp3 and wmv files. Whenever I try to play online videos on my IE7 it just freezes for a minute and shuts down. then it gives a pop up that IE7 has stopped working and reporting issue. And then suddenly all IE7 windows shut down and I have to open everything again, but WMP11 does not play online videos with above mentioned file types. Your help would be really appreciated as I have spent soo many days on this and still could not find any fix for this, I even installed soo many codecs but of no use Sad.

Please help.

Manav

Thursday, August 28, 2008 9:43 PM
  •  

I just paid for an mp3 download & I was trying to burn it to a CD, but got an error message that the file could not be found. I was looking right at it on Media Player! Now it's completely gone from my computer! Frustrated & angry am I!
    Friday, December 5, 2008 5:50 AM