none
Forms displayed on top of Excel appear to force transparency on pictureboxes as the Excel gridlines "show through" the form RRS feed

• Question

• I have a custom dialog that I use to display informational messages to users in a VSTO add-in to Excel.  I wanted to add a member logo to this dialog to help remind users which member they are processing data for.  I display this in a picture box that is on the form used for the dialog.

However, I soon discovered that if my picture contains any white then I can see the Excel worksheet through the image as if this were transparent.  I can see gridlines and any text that happens to be behind the dialog.

The only workaround I have found is to remove any white from logos, replacing white with "very light grey" instead... this does the trick but why do I need to do this in the first place?  This is going to cause all sorts of problems when users start uploading their own images.

Transparent logo

Monday, March 19, 2012 2:43 PM

Answers

• After spending hours playing with this, I finally took a step back and checked the transparency key on the form... it was as simple as removing that.  Problem solved!
    • Marked as answer by Diksta Monday, March 19, 2012 3:10 PM
    Monday, March 19, 2012 3:10 PM

All replies

• After spending hours playing with this, I finally took a step back and checked the transparency key on the form... it was as simple as removing that.  Problem solved!
    • Marked as answer by Diksta Monday, March 19, 2012 3:10 PM
    Monday, March 19, 2012 3:10 PM
  • Hi Diksta,

I'm glad to hear you solved your issue by yourself. Thanks for sharing your experience here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar question to see how you solved your issue.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 4:01 AM