none
Workflow error: The workflow could not create the list item. Make sure the list exists and the user has permissions to add items to the list.

Question

• Scenario: List A has a content type (with 5 columns) associated to it. Document Library A also has a content type associated to it (with same 5 columns). The workflow is very basic: Create list item action when a new item is created in List A, a document is created in Document Library A. I can get the workflow to work in my personal O365 account but get a workflow error in my work account where I have Full Control on the site.

The error: "The workflow could not create the list item. Make sure the list exists and the user has permissions to add items to the list." is misleading because 1) the list does exist (in this case the document library) and 2) I know I have permissions because I can manually create a document based on that content type in the document library. 

Can someone shed some light as to why I am not able to do this via workflow?

Thursday, December 15, 2016 4:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Carolin- what account are you using to run the workflow? It can't be a system account. Also make sure that the workflow/you have access to everything it touches (if it's connecting to another service/database, the content types, etc.) Also make sure the content types & list/library are connecting to the correct location.

cameron rautmann

Thursday, December 15, 2016 9:56 PM
  • Hi Cameron, I have site admin privileges and am using my account, not a system account. I have owner privileges on everything it touches. I can manually create a new document using the content type but cannot create it via workflow.
    Wednesday, December 28, 2016 4:08 PM
  • Hi Carolin Mays,

To troubleshoot the issue, you could check things below:

1. Check the permission of your work account in the document library by library settings.

2. Did you create workflow in SharePoint designer? If you did, you could clear the SharePoint designer cache.

3. Close and re-start the SharePoint designer to check if the same issue will occur.

4. Check if there is document template in the content type which you want to create item in workflow in the document library. If there is not, you could assign the document template to the content type.

5. Republish the workflow by the work account.

More reference:

Clear SharePoint Designer 2013 Cache.

http://blah.winsmarts.com/2015-3-Clear_SharePoint_Designer_2013_Cache.aspx

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 6:05 AM
  • Hello Carolin

Try using this action inside Impersonation step if 2010 workflow or App step in 2013 Workflow.... 

reference : http://www.learningsharepoint.com/2010/07/31/impersonation-in-sharepoint-designer-2010-workflow/

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 8:12 AM