none
How to solve the problem "This package wasn't built for the current version of Windows. Install the current version of Windows and build the package again." RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to upload my app to store. 

Last time, I uploaded it successfully, but this time, I submitted updated app and got the message:

This package wasn't built for the current version of Windows. Install the current version of Windows and build the package again.

I tried the one which was able to upload successfully, but failed with same message too.

I am using Windows 8.1 and vs 2013, if windows version is the problem , how come I could upload last time?

Can anyone indicate how to solve this problem?

Many thanks

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 10:45 PM

Answers

• Hello everyone,

An issue was identified and resolved that should allow you to be able to upload app packages that are targeted for Windows 8.1 and built using Visual Studio 2013 without encountering this error. Please attempt to upload your app package again to see if you encounter any additional issues.

Steven

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 9:55 PM

All replies

• This also just appeared for me. No local configuration changes, and suddenly went from possible to impossible.
    Tuesday, November 5, 2013 10:50 PM
  • Yes, same here. 
    Wednesday, November 6, 2013 1:27 AM
  • Looks like it's affecting more than just me.  That's a relief.
    Wednesday, November 6, 2013 4:18 AM
  • Same here

Windows 8.1 installed from scratch.

Visual Studio 2013 RTM (upgraded from RC to RTM)

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 4:22 AM
  • I'm seeing this issue too. VS2013 RTM and Windows 8.1.
    Wednesday, November 6, 2013 4:37 AM
  • Also having this issue Windows 8.1 and VS2013 trying to update our Windows 8 app with a new package.
    Wednesday, November 6, 2013 8:07 AM
  • Same here. Trying to upload an updated package (that worked previously) results in this message.
    Wednesday, November 6, 2013 9:07 AM
  • For me, uploading a package targeted for Windows 8 works, but another targeted for 8.1 does not.

If I don't create an app bundle, the message is as in the original post. If I create an app bundle, the error message is: "Validation error: The app bundle doesn't comply with constraints applied during app bundle production."

8.1 Pro and VS2013 Ultimate. I have never used Preview or RC releases in any capacity.

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 11:23 AM
  • Same issue here. I uploaded (almost) the same code from the same machine 2 days ago and that went smoothly.
    Wednesday, November 6, 2013 11:32 AM
  • Same problem here... I checked for Windows update, but nothing.
    Wednesday, November 6, 2013 11:45 AM
  • I am trying to do an initial release of an app for Win 8.1.  Earlier in the day yesterday, I went in to packages and noticed that it had Windows 8.1 as an option for packages under the box that allows for uploading packages.  Later (and presently) it only shows:

Windows 8

You haven't uploaded any packages for Windows 8. Learn more

There is no Windows 8.1 option like there was earlier in the day yesterday.

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 1:11 PM
  • Same Here!

Validation error:   This package wasn't built for the current version of Windows. Install the current version of Windows and build the package again.

Worked OK a week ago...

Steve

Works OK for me now! Windows 8.1 Pro and Visual Studio 2013. Same setup as before except I think Microsoft fixed something.
    • Edited by IT Studio Wednesday, November 6, 2013 8:16 PM
    Wednesday, November 6, 2013 6:42 PM
  • Same problem, 8.1 pro, 2013, last updates, 2 days after clean os-installation. Same problem on 8.1 enterprise 90-day trial
    Wednesday, November 6, 2013 7:18 PM
  • Hello everyone,

An issue was identified and resolved that should allow you to be able to upload app packages that are targeted for Windows 8.1 and built using Visual Studio 2013 without encountering this error. Please attempt to upload your app package again to see if you encounter any additional issues.

Steven

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 9:55 PM
  • Thank you. That fixed it for me.
    Wednesday, November 6, 2013 10:37 PM
  • No Dice. Repackaged with same environment and getting same error message.  Seems even worse now because a security code cannot even be sent at this time.
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 12:14 AM
  • This is the kind of stuff that's been complicating app development for months, it smacks of poor planning, poor testing, poor management - if Microsoft were a bank then they'd be in big trouble with this kind of service.

We need stability, predictability, reliability not the poorly fitting jigsaw of departments and systems and websites that lead to us pulling our hair out in frustration.

I was unable to login to my developer account a few months ago, I eventually got a real-time chat help person (this took hours to find) who told me she'd pass me to MSDN subscription services! Why? because I'd mentioned to her that I couldn't access my downloads, so she saw an opportunity to pass the ball to someone else  anyone else!

I refused and compelled her to work with me as  we strove to fix my issue, we eventually fixed it, then she apologized telling me her baby had kept her up all night.

This isn't how support centers should behave.

Cap'n

Thursday, November 7, 2013 12:41 AM
  • Fixed. Thanks
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 4:47 AM
  • thank you, fixed here
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 2:27 PM