Game Programming RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm 13 years old and me and a few of my friends are going to try creating a video game. Since I knew the most about computers and are very good with them, everoyone decided that I should be in charge of programming. I know of a couple other kids in my school I could ask to help with programming, but I need to ask a few questions first, if it isn't too much trouble.

1) I know that C# and Visual Basic would be the best languages to start with. I already have some knowledge with Basic. My 1st question is is C# as good as C++ for 3-D and Direct X Game programming?

2) I have a 2 year old Dell Dimension 2350 at home with a 50 Gig hard drive, 30 Gig to Windows 20 to Linux, 500 Meg ram, and an Intel pentium 4 processor. Would this be a good enough computer for programming? Or does it not really matter?

3) I read somewhere in the C++ forums about an XBox Programmer too, I can't find it anymore, where can I get more detail about that?

Monday, November 27, 2006 4:24 PM

Answers

• 1) C++ was/is the standard language for game development.  The .NET languages are quickly catching up, thanks in no small part due to the efforts of MSFT to promote their use.  I don't doubt you can make a .NET language just as effective, especially with the .NET wrappers for DirectX.  Just beware of the distribution issue, your game won't work without the framework.  That problem is starting to disappear too now that Vista comes with the .NET 3.0 framework installed by default.

2) Should be fine

3) You might be talking about the XNA framework.

Good luck!

Monday, November 27, 2006 5:01 PM

All replies

• 1) C++ was/is the standard language for game development.  The .NET languages are quickly catching up, thanks in no small part due to the efforts of MSFT to promote their use.  I don't doubt you can make a .NET language just as effective, especially with the .NET wrappers for DirectX.  Just beware of the distribution issue, your game won't work without the framework.  That problem is starting to disappear too now that Vista comes with the .NET 3.0 framework installed by default.

2) Should be fine

3) You might be talking about the XNA framework.

Good luck!

Monday, November 27, 2006 5:01 PM
  • good idea just be prepared to read a lot of books
    Sunday, December 17, 2006 6:43 PM