Google Mobilizer in the middle RRS feed

• Question

• User-1149223197 posted

When I searched this forum, I was surprised to find no results for the keyword "mobilizer".

I'm trying to do a feasibility analysis for rendering mobile pages to Helio devices. It seems that the default, and unconfigurable setting in their browsers is to automatically wrap requests through google mobilizer before sending them to the server. This causes asp.net to recognize the device as a desktop browser. I still have to confirm this, but I believe google mobilizer changes the user-agent to make it look like it's ie6to9.

This causes the server to render HTML, which google mobilizer then parses and converts to wml for the device. I guess it can be a handy feature to have for some sites that don't have a WML version, but then again it doesn't work for a lot of others, especially since the devices don't support client script. I suppose Google hasn't figured that one out yet. The odd thing is, if you go to google's site from the device, it automatically redirects to google.com/m and renders wml without the mobilizer.

Anyhow, what I would like to do, if possible, is to force my pages to render WML like this, even to desktop browsers. Do I need to create a custom adapter to accomplish this?

Thursday, June 7, 2007 1:12 PM

All replies

• User-1149223197 posted

Update:

The Request.UserAgent is returning the string

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; Google Wireless Transcoder;)

When I click the HTML link provided by the mobilizer (appended at the bottom of the card), the UserAgent string changes to NGB/3.0

Still not sure if I can configure the adaptation using a .browser file, or if it's going to require further customization. If anyone else knows more about this, please share. Thanks.

Thursday, June 7, 2007 3:38 PM