Is it wrong to call a Windows Server Failover cluster that hosts a 4 node SQL Server Availability group enabled configuration as containing a SQL CLuster? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is it wrong to call a Windows Server Fail-over cluster that hosts a 4 node SQL Server Availability group enabled configuration as containing a SQL Cluster?

This may seem like a very trite question - however a senior SQL DBA at work said that there was no SQL cluster in a design which was for a Windows Server Fail-over cluster with 4 SQL Server AG nodes...

I want to know the official Microsoft position on this - is it true - yes or no - to say that there is a SQL cluster in a design that uses WSFC/hosting a 4 node SQL server Availability group?

OR perhaps the idea of a SQL cluster is not in this design - Ideally I'd like to know the official Microsoft position on this...I think this DBA is wrong but they are very senior and before i tell them - if ever - i want to be 100% sure...

• Edited by xyz2012 Monday, November 25, 2019 5:27 PM
    Monday, November 25, 2019 5:26 PM

Answers

All replies

• You are splitting hairs on terminology.

Technically, AlwaysOn does not require a "SQL Server Failover Cluster".  However, it uses WSFC SERVICES. 

The term "SQL Server cluster" generally refers to an "active/passive" environment for a single instance.  This is not required for AlwaysOn.

Please see:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/availability-groups/windows/failover-clustering-and-always-on-availability-groups-sql-server?view=sql-server-ver15

• Edited by Tom Phillips Monday, November 25, 2019 7:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by xyz2012 Wednesday, November 27, 2019 3:51 PM
    Monday, November 25, 2019 7:05 PM
  • Hi xyz2012,

According to your description,  you want to install sql cluster on the node that already host availability replica. If anything is misunderstood, please tell me.

The answer is yes, you need to modify the instance name of the sql cluster to be different from the availability replica. In fact, it is the same as installing a named instance.

Best regards,

Dedmon Dai

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 7:00 AM
  • That sounds like a No - thanks.

My current project/client requires me to split hairs :)

• Edited by xyz2012 Wednesday, November 27, 2019 3:52 PM
    Wednesday, November 27, 2019 3:51 PM