none
What is the version of the .NET Framework required for SQL Server 2016/2017? RRS feed

• Question

• We make client connection using ADO.NET(System.Data.SqlClient) to SQL Server 2016/2017.

I know the required version of the .NET Framework on the server side is 4.6.

However, I do not know the version of the .NET Framework on the client connection side.

Please tell us the required version of the client side .NET Framework.

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 9:18 AM

Answers

• AFAIK, any app running under the currently supported versions of the .NET Framework can connect to a SQL Server 2016 or 2017 database. You could probably even go back to 2.0 (which is no longer supported) and connect using the System.Data.SqlClient library.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

• Marked as answer by Nokku Thursday, February 1, 2018 1:17 AM
    Wednesday, January 31, 2018 2:59 PM
  • I'm not aware of any specific limitations with other versions of the .NET Framework when building client applications that use System.Data.SqlClient to access SQL Server. Both 4.5.2 and 4.6.1 should work fine.

Are you having an issue with one of these .NET Framework versions?

• Marked as answer by Nokku Thursday, February 1, 2018 8:26 AM
    Thursday, February 1, 2018 3:16 AM

All replies

• AFAIK, any app running under the currently supported versions of the .NET Framework can connect to a SQL Server 2016 or 2017 database. You could probably even go back to 2.0 (which is no longer supported) and connect using the System.Data.SqlClient library.

• Marked as answer by Nokku Thursday, February 1, 2018 1:17 AM
    Wednesday, January 31, 2018 2:59 PM
  • Do you know the version of the .NET Framework that supports SQL Server 2016/2017 in developing client applications, not just connections?

Is there a problem with the following configurations?

Server's .NET Framework Version:4.6.1

Client's .NET Framework VErsion:4.5.2

Thursday, February 1, 2018 2:33 AM
  • I'm not aware of any specific limitations with other versions of the .NET Framework when building client applications that use System.Data.SqlClient to access SQL Server. Both 4.5.2 and 4.6.1 should work fine.

Are you having an issue with one of these .NET Framework versions?

• Marked as answer by Nokku Thursday, February 1, 2018 8:26 AM
    Thursday, February 1, 2018 3:16 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.

Currently, there is not a problem with this version.

I wanted to know if there are any problems with this version.

Thursday, February 1, 2018 6:14 AM