none
Mercurial support?

Question

• While Git deployment is great, there are a lot of Windows developers using Mercurial due to better tooling, Codeplex support, etc. Are there plans to support Mercurial deployment in the future or has MS officially decided that Git is the one true DVCS?

Monday, June 11, 2012 1:13 PM

Answers

• Hi All,

It was certainly our intent to support Hg in the beginning, infact early prototypes had the support but considering limited resources we had to make the cut.  We took the approach of getting few things polished well and TFS & Git were higher up due to demand. 

Do note that supporting Hg is a whole parallel work to supporting Git so we would love to hear community demand on this which can help us prioritize the ask.  So let us get this voted up :-)

@vishalrjoshi

Vishal R. Joshi | http://vishaljoshi.blogspot.com

Monday, June 11, 2012 4:48 PM

All replies

• +1 for hg
    Monday, June 11, 2012 3:41 PM
  • Hi All,

It was certainly our intent to support Hg in the beginning, infact early prototypes had the support but considering limited resources we had to make the cut.  We took the approach of getting few things polished well and TFS & Git were higher up due to demand. 

Do note that supporting Hg is a whole parallel work to supporting Git so we would love to hear community demand on this which can help us prioritize the ask.  So let us get this voted up :-)

@vishalrjoshi

Vishal R. Joshi | http://vishaljoshi.blogspot.com

Monday, June 11, 2012 4:48 PM
  • +1 for Hg, and voted!

Monday, June 11, 2012 5:59 PM
  • Upvote the thread if you want HG support.
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 7:23 PM
  • +1. I would love HG support.
    Thursday, July 5, 2012 5:39 PM
  • +1 for Mercurial support!
    Thursday, August 2, 2012 8:43 AM
  • Definite +1 for Hg support! Thanks for all the great work.
    Friday, August 10, 2012 7:03 PM
  • +1 for hg
    • Proposed as answer by AlexFar Saturday, September 8, 2012 10:12 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by AlexFar Saturday, September 8, 2012 10:12 PM
    Saturday, September 8, 2012 10:11 PM
  • Absolutely need this. The number of us using Mercurial is comparable to Git users. As stated before, it's the DVCS of choice on CodePlex, Google Code, and is offered in parallel with Git by other code repository service providers.
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 8:05 PM
  • Big +1 for Mercurial. Python runs on it (and it runs on Python), so we care about it a lot.
    Sunday, October 28, 2012 8:17 PM
  • +1 for Mercurial
    Sunday, November 4, 2012 10:20 PM
  • +1 for hg
    Monday, November 5, 2012 3:56 PM
  • Question for those asking for Mercurial support. Today, we support two workflows with git:

1. Pushing directly to Azure
    2. Pushing to Github/Codeplex/BitBucket and having that trigger a deployment in Azure using a hook

Potentially, we can find a way to make #2 work with Mercurial, but #1 would be harder.

Would #2 work for your Mercurial needs? If so, do you use CodePlex or BitBucket?

Monday, November 5, 2012 8:07 PM
  • When azure supports private repositories (without too many manual step) #2 would work fine for me. I use BitBucket.

That said I could personally live with git only as long as it is fairly easy to use private repositories. Easy deployment from private repositories is of major importance.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 10:03 AM
  • +1 for Mercurial

David Ebbo, #2 works perfectly for my needs

Thursday, November 15, 2012 6:45 PM
  • For Bitbucket, must one currently choose a git project for Azure deployment to work?
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 6:23 PM
  • @Timothy: correct. Mercurial is not currently supported, as discussed in this thread.
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 6:40 PM
  • +1 for HG
    Thursday, November 22, 2012 3:28 PM
  • Actually, when publishing your stuff (from a company, not private perspective), you usually don't want to rely on third parties to act as a bridge between you and your production system. So #1 is absolutely preferable.

#2 Would be okay for my personal stuff, since Bitbucket offers free private repos.

-- Sebastian P.R. Gingter

Thursday, November 22, 2012 5:27 PM
  • #2 would work fine for us.  We are using private repos on BitBucket.
    Sunday, November 25, 2012 7:23 PM
  • +1 ^a lot (I know that's still 1) - Bitbucket private Hg repo support would be ideal.

ohai

• Edited by CAD bloke Wednesday, December 12, 2012 11:29 PM
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 11:29 PM
  • +1 for direct deployment via Hg. Solution #2 works, too. We use Bitbucket. Thank you!
    Wednesday, January 9, 2013 2:22 AM
  • +1 for HG.  

#2 works for me. 

Saturday, January 26, 2013 7:27 PM
  • +1 for hg

Option #2 with Codeplex works for me.

• Proposed as answer by Ruslantur Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:50 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by David EbboModerator Thursday, February 21, 2013 6:47 PM
    Friday, February 15, 2013 9:44 AM
  • +1 for hg.

#2 would work, although #1 seems slightly preferable. Bitbucket seems more useful as it supports private repos.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 6:30 PM
  • Would like #1, but #2 would probably work.

BitBucket would be my choice. We have personal and company accounts with public and private repos there and it works great.

Friday, March 8, 2013 8:14 PM
  • I'm happy to announce that Mercurial is now supported in Azure Web Sites for both Mercurial and Codeplex.

Note that what's supported is #2 is my above comment: "Pushing to Codeplex/BitBucket and having that trigger a deployment in Azure using a hook", and not #1 "Pushing directly to Azure".

Monday, March 18, 2013 6:58 PM