Migration of database from one time zone to another and impact RRS feed

• Question

• Hi – We are in the process of migrating a database from one server to another physical server with a different time zone setting. The time zone on the source server is different than the target server. In this case do you see any impact on the data? I believe SQL Server uses OS time zone and wondering what would be the impact to the data which was captured using a different time zone.

Would you suggest to change the time zone of the Traget sever before the migration? Any thoughts?

Time zone on Source database server – PST

Time zone of Target database server – CST

Thanks!

spp

Monday, January 9, 2017 8:35 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Is SQL Server Reporting Services involved? In case SSRS is involved, please read the following MSDN article.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms157158(v=sql.120).aspx

Your SQL Server instance will take the time from Windows and you don’t need to do any changes. I would suggest to reevaluate the execution time of jobs and backups in case you want to execute them at a different time.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

• Edited by Alberto MorilloMVP Monday, January 9, 2017 9:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by sppdba Monday, January 9, 2017 9:47 PM
    Monday, January 9, 2017 9:01 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Is SQL Server Reporting Services involved? In case SSRS is involved, please read the following MSDN article.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms157158(v=sql.120).aspx

Your SQL Server instance will take the time from Windows and you don’t need to do any changes. I would suggest to reevaluate the execution time of jobs and backups in case you want to execute them at a different time.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

• Edited by Alberto MorilloMVP Monday, January 9, 2017 9:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by sppdba Monday, January 9, 2017 9:47 PM
    Monday, January 9, 2017 9:01 PM
  • Thanks! Alberto. That helps. I don't have SSRS running on the server. Earlier I was thinking of changing the time zone of the target server. It's great to know that its not needed.

spp

Monday, January 9, 2017 9:47 PM
  • Hello,

Thank you for visiting MSDN forums! Have a great day!

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Monday, January 9, 2017 9:59 PM
  • I am not sure why Alberto Morillo (Hi Alberto) believes that this is a SSRS (Reporting Services) question. Your data in SQL Server has no time dependencies on the time zone the server is currently stored in or the time zone the data is migrated to. If your table stores the datetimeoffset the client can make use of the At Time Zone parameter to display the stored data in the current time zone, or a different time zone.
    Monday, January 9, 2017 11:49 PM
  • Hello Hillary,

Just in case the OP missed to mention that SSRS was involved on the scenario.

Have a wonderful 2017 year!

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 12:51 AM