Import Xcode storyboard to xamarin RRS feed

• Question

• User135037 posted

I would like someone to show me or make a tutorial on how to make a storyboard with outlets and buttons in Xcode and transfer it into a new Xamarin project. I do not like the Xamarin designer, it is very slow on it's own and by having Xamarin, Xcode and Chrome all running at the same time it becomes an exhausting experience. Android Studio and Xcode's designer run very nicely and I wish to make something in Xcode and open the storyboard in Xamarin. If there is any documentation out there please send it to me.

I have a 2011 macbook pro 2.3 i5 16 gb RAM 1600 mhz DDR3 no SSD

Thanks a bunch Eric

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 2:42 PM

All replies

• User16 posted

You can right click (or ctrl-click) on the storyboard in Xamarin Studio and select open in Xcode. Drag outlets to the header as usual in Xcode and Xamarin Studio will generate properties for the outlets in a partial class that you can use in C#.

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 5:41 PM
  • User135037 posted

is there a way todo it without having both programs running at the same time?

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 5:45 PM
  • User181 posted

I don't know why you would want to do it without Xamarin Studio open at all. In Xcode you need a project file and some headers and code files in order to set up outlets. Xamarin Studio creates those for you and synchronizes between them and the .designer.cs files. If you do it without Xamarin Studio you'll have to do all of that code generation yourself. It's not worth it.

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 6:43 PM
  • User1669 posted

I agree with Adam & Michael. XS does syncing and auto-generates the necessary XCode files and C# wrappers for your View Controllers. You don't want to do those on your own. It's not a big deal having XCode and XS open at the same time. As a matter of fact, it's a necessity for me to have both open at the same time when I'm implementing UI.

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 7:42 PM
  • User38885 posted

What is the best practise in this? Create storyboard in XS, edit in Xcode, let Xamarin synchronise changes? Because we have a storyboard created by a very experienced iOS developer from our team in India and it was fully created in Xcode. This can't be imported into XS without parsing errors. Does these occur because the necessary designer files aren't around?

Thursday, August 27, 2015 7:56 AM
  • User157647 posted

Now that my extended trial ends soon, there is no point for me to spend on Xamarin when I know I wont have it any more. Is there any way to port my project to Xcode? Thanks

Monday, November 16, 2015 9:41 PM
  • User181 posted

You can copy .xibs and storyboards over directly into a new project, but you'll have to port code by hand. As far as I know there is no tool to try to convert projects so even copying resources is a manual process.

Monday, November 16, 2015 9:53 PM