none
Latest (October 2018) security update for MS Office makes Excel crash RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I really need help to find out how the latest MS Office update can affect our Excel based application!!

One client (engineering company with many users) has been running our application  (a .xlsb workbook with hundreds of custom userforms and macros created on VBA) without any problems in Excel 2010 and 2016.

Suddenly, after latest security update for MS Office (few days ago), Excel 2016 keeps crashing while running my application with run-time automation error. This update included KB 4092444 and such.

Our application DOES NOT access internet, any servers, any system info, etc.  It creates few files (with info from userforms) and starts a calculation engine (via Shell() command). Then it reads  .csv files (created by engine) with Workbooks.OpenText, Copy and Paste commands.

How the latest security update for MS Office made Excel crash on our application??

Please help!!! This company has to run studies using our software every day! 

Thank you!!

Julia

Monday, October 29, 2018 8:57 PM

All replies

• Hi julia,

>> a .xlsb workbook with hundreds of custom userforms and macros created on VBA

Since your script is too difficult to test for us, we recommend you to test it yourself as the following steps:

First, test it on another PC.

Then, you can test it on the latest version after security update to see if the problem persists.

If still not working, revert to the previous version before you update.

Also, please tell us the more details about the error that you get.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Yuki

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 2:43 AM
  • Yuki, thank you for your reply.

It looks like only our users with Excel 2016 on Windows 7 computers got affected (and I found out on MS website that KB 4092444 batch is specifically for Windows 7). No problem on Windows 10 computers in this company.

The problem they are having is the following: my application starts, a main dialog pop-up, user can select files using file selectors, then they press "Load" button. The application starts calculation engine via Shell command. The engine (.exe file) works fine, creates few .csv files and a special .txt file to let my application know that engine is done. Then my application should open, load and close these .csv files. The Excel crash happens while  application is trying to do so. The users saw different run-time messages - "The object invoked disconnected ...",  "Method Range of object _Worksheet failed", or Excel just crashed. I double checked my code - all Ranges are set via ThisWorkbook, and such. No error messages in Event Viewer.

What is strange - user from a different company had a similar problem when his IT installed Excel 2016 Office 365. We noticed a bunch of error messages  in Windows 10 Event Viewer that mentioned Licence related errors. The IT made some changes (didn't give any info) and now my application works fine.

Best regards,

Julia

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 5:18 PM
  • Yuki, 

I might be wrong with the cause for the Excel crashes. Is it possible that there is a reason for Excel crash while my VBA based application is waiting (something like "not in focus")?

The reason I'm asking this is the following -  when the other user had a problem with Office 365, I had a chance to run our application on his laptop (only for a while, during a meeting).  The application did run fine in debug mode, and it even did run fine (for awhile) when I put just few simple MsgBox  statements between open/load/close files statements. But this problem was resolved via IT changes.

I couldn't run any tests for the  users with Excel 2016 on Windows 7. Our application is password protected and they couldn't give us permission to run via GoToMeeting

Best regards,

Julia

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 5:42 PM