IE 10 goes to black screen: loss of visibility of webpage content

Question

• I was on a website that I authored which had a link to download the Adobe Flash Player.  It turns out that IE 10 in Metro view is 64-bit while IE10 in standard/classic view is 32-bit, or at least it appears to be.  I went to the Adobe website linked on my page to download FP11 beta which linked to Adobe Labs to download the beta.  Just as I was about to do so for the 64-bit FP11 beta, the entire screen went black/blank and I had to use the Windows Start key to get back to a usable state, although I lost the content on my IE10 page that I was viewing.

How can I prevent this from happening?  Also, how can I use keyboard shortcuts to bring up the URL address bar and the Tabs bar in Metro view for IE 10?  currently it seems only touch support is available for bringing up these features, although I can hit F5 to refresh the page and temporarily bring up the URL address bar.

IMO Metro view is not designed for a professional environment or for power users.  It looks cool as though it is based on HTML 5 and Silverlight code but classic view is more powerful for discrete interactivity with a mouse and keyboard.

Using a 64-bit tablet PC (not a slate---a tablet with a keyboard, specifically an HP tx2 TouchSmart which has been discontinued unfortunately).  Dev Preview is installed on a 50GB partition without tools as I did not have a DL DVD to burn the ISO onto.  Main partition is Windows 7 Ultimate.

Sincerely,

-penciline

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:44 PM

Answers

• Hey there,

Wanted to verify if the issue reappeared? Was it a one time occurrence? I had tried to download the flash player beta 64 bit as well and I didn't see that experience you had mentioned on an HP laptop that didn't have touch capability.

For IE10 touch optimized in the Metro style UI, in my testing, F3 opens up IE search, F4 opens up the frequent navigated pages, F6 brings up the address bar.

Regards,

Bobby

Thursday, September 15, 2011 11:05 PM
    Answerer