Errors compiling the HealthVault DDK sample device drivers RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently experimenting with the HealthVault Driver Development Kit to develop a new device driver for the HealthVault. As starting point I'm taking the steps in the "Getting Started building a HealthVault Device" guide.

However I'm unable to successfully compile the sample device drivers provided with the DDK.

The WinDDK and HealthVault SDK + DDK are successfully installed. As I don't have Visual Studio 2005 SP1 (as mentioned in the guide) I have tried compiling with the following versions:

Visual Studio 2008
    Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition
    Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition

All tests are launched through the Windows XP x86 Checked Build Environment command prompt as indicated in the guide.

Visual Studio 2008 and Visual C++ 2008 Express edition are able to find and process the *.idl files but both give the same warning when starting to compile stdafx.cpp:

1>stdafx.cpp
    1>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\include\stdio.h(189) : error C2144: syntax error : 'int' should be preceded by ';'
    1>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\include\stdio.h(189) : error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int
    [...]

Followed by another 100 errors in stdio.h

When compiling with Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition it appears that the environment variables set by the "
    Windows XP x86 Checked Build Environment" are not taken up correctly as it cannot find the *.idl files. By manually adding the location of the idl files (C:\WinDDK\6001.18001\inc\api) to the include path, the *.idl files are found, but then the atlbase.h cannot be found. Manually adding the location to the include path again solves this, but then a number of libraries cannot be found. After manually including the needed paths the compilation ends with multiple linking errors:

1>Linking...
    1>   Creating library Release\FabrikamBloodPressureWpdDriver.lib and object Release\FabrikamBloodPressureWpdDriver.exp
    1>WpdObjectEnum.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __forceAtlDllManifest
    1>WpdObjectProperties.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __forceAtlDllManifest
    1>WpdObjectResources.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __forceAtlDllManifest
    1>Queue.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __forceAtlDllManifest
    1>stdafx.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __forceAtlDllManifest
    1>WpdBaseDriver.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __forceAtlDllManifest
    1>WpdCapabilities.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __forceAtlDllManifest
    [...]

So my question is: what do I need to do to successfully build the sample DDK drivers with Visual Studio 2008 or the Visual C++ express editions?

Thanks!

Best regards,
    Frank Wartena

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 9:12 AM

Answers

• Hi Frank,

The DDK has been only tested with the Visual Studios 2005.  The time limited version has been verified to work, however I am not sure if that is the same as the Express version.  We are in the process of updating the DDK to support Visual Studio 2008, so I should be able to help you out with a solution shortly.

-Rocky 

Thursday, June 26, 2008 6:09 AM

All replies

• Hi Frank,

The DDK has been only tested with the Visual Studios 2005.  The time limited version has been verified to work, however I am not sure if that is the same as the Express version.  We are in the process of updating the DDK to support Visual Studio 2008, so I should be able to help you out with a solution shortly.

-Rocky 

Thursday, June 26, 2008 6:09 AM
  • Thanks Rocky for the quick reply.

Looking forward to the Visual Studio 2008 support.

Regards,

Frank

Friday, June 27, 2008 8:52 AM
  • Hi Rocky,
    i have been facing the same problems. Is the HV DDK supported for VS 2008 now?

Regards,
    Karan

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 7:27 AM
  • Hi Frank,

The DDK has been only tested with the Visual Studios 2005. The time limited version has been verified to work, however I am not sure if that is the same as the Express version. We are in the process of updating the DDK to support Visual Studio 2008, so I should be able to help you out with a solution shortly.

-Rocky

Thanks to the sharing!
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 4:53 AM