Cannot install Outlook 2007 addin on certain machines RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am having problems installing a VSTO3.0 add in for Outlook 2007 on windows xp. This is installed with an msi setup project so we get it installed for all users. I have followed all the necessary procedures outlined in http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mshneer/archive/2007/09/05/deploying-your-vsto-add-in-to-all-users-part-i.aspx. The installer packages up all the prerequisites (vsto and pias) and these install correctly.

It may be worth pointing out that what I currently have is working fine on some machines, but I have hit two problematic machines! All the machines are XP sp3 and are equipped with the same windows updates and we are struggling to find any differences. There is a group policy involved which elevates privileges for Windows Installer.

So when the user runs up Outlook, I can see that all the correct registry keys are being deployed to HKEY_CURRENT_USER and it is attempting to load the add in. However it then hangs Outlook causing it to crash. I have tried VSTO_SUPPRESSDISPLAYALERTS and VSTO_LOGALERTS and I get nothing.

If I install the vsto file manually i.e. not manifest=[Path to vsto]|vstolocal everything works fine. What would cause the use of |vstolocal to hang Outlook? Permissions (user is an administrator)? On these same machines I also have a Word addin which is deployed the same way (|vstolocal) and this has no problems!

Apologies for the rant but I'm out of ideas!

Thanks,

Andy

Thursday, August 19, 2010 3:51 PM

Answers

• Hi Patrick,

I think we have tracked this down to Sophos causing some kind of deadlock and therefore causing the hang on startup. Without sophos running everything is fine! I should have checked their anti virus first. Sorry for wasting your time and thanks again for your help.

Andy

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 3:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Andy,

Do you have crash dumps of Outlook? You can use ProcDump -e outlook.exe to collect the dump. ProcDump can be downloaded from here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/dd996900.aspx 

Beyond that, you may want to consider opening a support incident to help you troubleshoot your issue. http://support.microsoft.com/select/Default.aspx?target=assistance&sd=gn as this may require more in depth troubleshooting.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Patrick Microsoft Online Community Support
    Monday, August 23, 2010 9:46 PM
  • I'm marking this thread as answered due to the lack of response.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Patrick Microsoft Online Community Support
    Monday, August 30, 2010 9:17 PM
  • Hi Patrick,

Sorry for the late reply! We have been unable to get onto the machines again till now.

I used ProcDump so I have a dump file now. Do you want to see it?!

Thanks,

Andy

Friday, September 3, 2010 2:58 PM
  • Yes, email me at cts-pcreehan 'at' live.com and I'll send you a URL to upload your dump.
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 9:03 PM
  • I'm going o propose this as answered due to lack of response.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 2:39 PM
  • Hi Patrick,

I sent you an email on 13 August. I've just tried to resend it.

Thanks,

Andy

Monday, October 4, 2010 9:13 AM
  • Hi Patrick,

I think we have tracked this down to Sophos causing some kind of deadlock and therefore causing the hang on startup. Without sophos running everything is fine! I should have checked their anti virus first. Sorry for wasting your time and thanks again for your help.

Andy

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 3:43 PM
  • I'm glad you found the issue. It's not a waste at all. Happy to help.

Have a good one!

Patrick

Thursday, October 7, 2010 3:52 PM
  • Hello,

I have developed an Outlook Add-In using Visual Studio 2008 and VSTO 3.0 targetted for outlook 2007.  It loads fine in the development machine.

I have developed an installer for it and installed all the following prerequisites in a different xp sp2 machine for the end user:

MS-Office 2007 and Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 sp1
    Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for the Microsoft Office system (version 3.0 Runtime)
    Primary Interop Assemblies for the 2007 Microsoft Office system.
    Windows Installer 3.1

Under the 'User code groups', I have given full trust to the entire folder where I have the dll.  Everything is fine till here, but I still get the error 'Not loaded. a runtime error occurred during the loading of the com add-in' and the Load Behavior changes to 2 instead of being three.

I have been trying hard to fix this but nothing is favouring my efforts.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance

--  Varma

Sunday, November 7, 2010 10:21 AM
  • Hello,

I did the following to make my outlook addin work::

1)  I edited the 'ThisAddIn.cs' file and built the entire project and ensured that files below(crmEZOutlook4 is my product name) show the latest modified date:

crmEZOutlook4.vsto
    crmEZOutlook4.dll
    crmEZOutlook4.dll.manifest
    crmEZOutlook4.pdb
    crmEZOutlook4.dll (Web Configuration File) need not show the latest modified date).

Some other office reference dll's will have 'version 12.0.0.0' and remaining 'version 9.0.0.0'.

2)           In the regsitry, under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hierarchy, The 'Manifest' value of the AddIn key should be pointed to
    "C:\Program Files\ABC\crmEZOutlook4Add-In\crmEZOutlook4.vsto|vstolocal".

3)           Under the user code groups of 'Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Configuration' in 'Administrative Tools', ensure the following:
    a) The code group name in the General tab.
    b) Under the 'Membership condition' tab,
        Choose the condition type for this code group:  URL
        URL       :  C:\Program Files\CompanyName\productname\*
    c) Permission set tab
         Permission Set: FullTrust.

4) Depending on your product features, if you need vsto 3.0 sp1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> vsto runtime Setup ->

v9.0.21022  indicates VSTO 3.0 runtime
    v9.0.30729  indicates VSTO 3.0 runtime SP1

You may not be able to see 'VSTO 3.0 runtime SP1' in the 'Add/Remove programs' of control panel after u install this;
    it may still remain as 'VSTO 3.0 runtime' but registry entry is perfect to know its existence.

After all this,  My outlook add-in loaded fine.

Thanks & Regards,
    Varma

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 1:17 PM