General Usage Question RRS feed

• Question

• I have a general usage question.  I bought Expression Studio Pro 4 a few years ago and used EW4 to do a few simple websites.  I really liked the ease to create CSS.  I consider myself a newbie.  I am planning to do a much more complicated project that involves forms, Javascript, AJAX and PHP.  A friend recommended using Visual Studio Express 2012 for Web.  I installed it and started to play with it.  I still like EW4 for HTML and CSS.  I was interested to know what others are doing and any recommendations. 
    Thursday, September 19, 2013 3:50 PM

Answers

• On the design side, EW is clearly superior to VS. However, when it comes to more sophisticated ASP.NET applications, VS offers more robust database features, and a far superior debugging environment (of which there essentially is none in EW).

As for AJAX, PHP, javascript/jQuery, I haven't used VSE 2012 yet, but EW has pretty good support for those technologies, including in-built server support for PHP, so I don't know if VS has as much of an advantage there.

Fortunately, you don't need to settle for either/or. Use both. You can easily round-trip between them, using EW for its superlative design surface, and VS for its data and debugging facilities. And if you download the File Watcher reg key download: http://www.gothisway.com/include/FileWatcherRegistryKey.zip, you can even have the same page open in both apps at once. Once you enable file watching, EW will warn you when a currently open file is altered in another app, such as VS, so you can accept the changes, reload the file, whatever. Best of both worlds, eh?  ;-)

cheers,
    scott 

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by mogulman52 Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:08 PM
    Thursday, September 19, 2013 7:27 PM

All replies

• On the design side, EW is clearly superior to VS. However, when it comes to more sophisticated ASP.NET applications, VS offers more robust database features, and a far superior debugging environment (of which there essentially is none in EW).

As for AJAX, PHP, javascript/jQuery, I haven't used VSE 2012 yet, but EW has pretty good support for those technologies, including in-built server support for PHP, so I don't know if VS has as much of an advantage there.

Fortunately, you don't need to settle for either/or. Use both. You can easily round-trip between them, using EW for its superlative design surface, and VS for its data and debugging facilities. And if you download the File Watcher reg key download: http://www.gothisway.com/include/FileWatcherRegistryKey.zip, you can even have the same page open in both apps at once. Once you enable file watching, EW will warn you when a currently open file is altered in another app, such as VS, so you can accept the changes, reload the file, whatever. Best of both worlds, eh?  ;-)

cheers,
    scott 

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by mogulman52 Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:08 PM
    Thursday, September 19, 2013 7:27 PM
  • Thanks for input.
    Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:07 PM