How do you make a Mirror Reflection Effect? RRS feed

Answers

• Hi Adam,

Will Buffington has a tutorial here that should help:   It is for vector shapes. 

http://blogs.msdn.com/xdesignsupport/archive/2007/10/30/reflecting-on-reflections.aspx

For images (bitmaps):

Import the bitmap into ED,  copy and paste it in place (Control + C and Control + F). Use Transform>Reflect>Vertical and then position it below  the original image.  Create a rectangle the same size as the mirrored image with a 'North-South' gradation of black to white.  Align it over the lower mirrored image- (Align>Centers).   Select the rectangle, set the transparency of the white value to zero . Set the Blend  to 'Erase'.  You can then adjust the position and range of the gradient.

Have Fun!

~Fred
    • Marked as answer by Adam Engesath Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:49 PM
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 5:31 PM

All replies

• Hi Adam,

Will Buffington has a tutorial here that should help:   It is for vector shapes. 

http://blogs.msdn.com/xdesignsupport/archive/2007/10/30/reflecting-on-reflections.aspx

For images (bitmaps):

Import the bitmap into ED,  copy and paste it in place (Control + C and Control + F). Use Transform>Reflect>Vertical and then position it below  the original image.  Create a rectangle the same size as the mirrored image with a 'North-South' gradation of black to white.  Align it over the lower mirrored image- (Align>Centers).   Select the rectangle, set the transparency of the white value to zero . Set the Blend  to 'Erase'.  You can then adjust the position and range of the gradient.

Have Fun!

~Fred
    • Marked as answer by Adam Engesath Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:49 PM
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 5:31 PM
  • Thank you, Fred!
    aengesath
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:49 PM
  • Fred, 

Thank you for your advice but I am getting stuck. I dont know how to change the transparency of the white value to zero. I assumed you were referring to the opacity setting but I dont know how to only affect the one color. I am sure I am probably missing something glaringly obvious but I am completely stuck. Thank you for help in advance.

~Todd
    Friday, May 1, 2009 11:41 PM
  • Hi Todd,

Oops. the proper term is the 'Stop Alpha' value; it is under the gradient bar in the Appearance palette.  With the gradient object selected, as you hover over the white gradient stop indicator it will show the color hex # and %. Clicking that color indicator activates it and then you can set the Stop Alpha value.
    You can also vary the position of the midpoint (the little diamond at to upper edge of the gradient bar).

Regards,
    ~Fred
    • Proposed as answer by Fred C_ Tuesday, May 5, 2009 5:53 PM
    Monday, May 4, 2009 2:30 PM
  • together with this method you can also use hue to -100 saturation to -100 to  make grey  the reflection

Thursday, May 7, 2009 7:30 PM