none
Search and download matched documents RRS feed

• Question

• We have the need to be able to download all documents/files that matches a specific search query. When using regular search engine I get all the matches. However, since there are thousands, I'm looking for a way to do this and get all files in a way so that they get save or downloaded to a local directory.

What would be the best way to accomplish this? I have the possibility to use all available tools, like Powershell.

The files are located on ~30 different site collections, so utilizing a keyword query or something similiar would be ideal for me.

Monday, October 29, 2012 8:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I think you are in the process of migrating/converting to a new system. So I think you also want the attached metadata to the documents.

You could use:

Powershell
    Visual Basic created application 
    Third party tooling
    Codeplex?

Before deep diving into this make sure you have all the functional requirements!! It will(!) save you a lot of time!

PS: Been doing migrations and conversions for a couple of years now....

Monday, October 29, 2012 10:27 AM
  • Hi,

No this is actually not a migration. The request is regarding a legal matter where we need to find all documents regarding a patent that we have.

So what I need is to download all documents that match my query to a hard drive, so we can send it in a package to legal dept. I've started by using a Keyword search in Powershell and is underway writing the script. I haven't however found a way to download the documents.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:56 AM