DirectInput RRS feed

• Question

• I created a project for Joystick input for Windows Desktop OS’s using DirectInput, part of the DirectX SDK.  I would like to port it to a CE 6.0 device.

I have goggled DirectInput for CE 6.0 and find that it is supposedly included in the CE core, even on Microsoft sites! But when I go to code it there is no DirectInput class or joystick to select.  This is very confusing One place says it there, another place it’s not.  If its not possible would XP embedded support this?

Please help

Wednesday, April 1, 2009 6:34 PM

Answers

• From what I can tell there’s nothing like this on CE 6. If your joystick is USB HID device you might be able to get to it by talking directly to the driver via IOCTL.

I’m not sure what kind of support comes with evaluation copy but I would assume there’s a contact phone listed somewhere and you can give a try. Another way to go would be to try CE newsgroup, this way you’re way more likely to get answer compared to this generic development forum.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by warrentang Monday, April 6, 2009 8:00 AM
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 6:49 PM

All replies

• Windows CE is a modular OS, so each device is unique and only includes components selected by OEM.

Even if DirectInput and joystick support is licensed under CE core license (and at all available on CE 6 – which might not be the case) that does not mean OEM included it into particular device.

Since CE is mostly used in business oriented applications it is unlikely for a standard device to have that support.

Same is with XP Embedded - if OEM put in support for that then yes it would. In other case it would not.

Wednesday, April 1, 2009 10:22 PM
  • That didn't answer my question at all.

You just told me things I already know, and a lot of ‘ifs’, I need facts.

I guess I should have been a little more detailed.  I am the OEM and have platform builder.  I have built several OS builds with CE 6.0 and SDKs but I see no place where I can access DirectInput, like I have on the DirectX for desktop PC.  Several Microsoft sites claim its part of the OS core since 2.11, but give no specific details.  What Catalogue item do I need to include?  None specifically mention DirectInput?

Does anyone know details about how to get access to this and code it, which classes to use?

Thank you for any help.

Thursday, April 2, 2009 1:25 PM
  • If you mean DirectInputCreate(), it is supported since CE 2.12 through CE .NET 4.1. That means it is not supported in CE 6.0 you're using and there's no catalog item for you to include.

If you need more info on that issue or official confirmation I would suggest calling PB support.

Thursday, April 2, 2009 4:32 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I do mean DirectInput its a class in The DirectX SDK (Windows XP).
    I guess I should also ask, This is all so I can get input from a USB joystick.  If any one knows how to do this other than the
    directX interface, that would be help full.

I am not sure I can use PB support because I am just using a CE 6.0 evaluation

Thanks for any information.

Thursday, April 2, 2009 4:54 PM
  • From what I can tell there’s nothing like this on CE 6. If your joystick is USB HID device you might be able to get to it by talking directly to the driver via IOCTL.

I’m not sure what kind of support comes with evaluation copy but I would assume there’s a contact phone listed somewhere and you can give a try. Another way to go would be to try CE newsgroup, this way you’re way more likely to get answer compared to this generic development forum.

• Marked as answer by warrentang Monday, April 6, 2009 8:00 AM
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 6:49 PM