none
Cannot boot with NK.bin larger than 64MB using loadcepc.exe in Windows Embedded Compact 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently using loadcepc.exe to boot compact 7 NK.bin, but when image is larger than 64MB, it will show a message : Error image section doesn't fit in allocated block.

I've searched on the internet and found documents about "supporting or simulating more than 64MB of ram", but all the documents or forum discussion are focused on WinCE 6.0, none of them are WEC7, I've tried setting Environment Variable : IMGRAM512 and rebuild the project, but it didn't help.

Has anyone encountered this issue in WEC7? Any suggestions are appreciated!

Steven Ma 

Friday, July 3, 2015 3:27 AM

All replies

• Hi Steven Ma,

Please share your image_reg file memory configuration details with config.bib details.?

What is the RAM size you are using. Is it download to RAM or NAND??

Which BSP you are using?

Friday, July 3, 2015 4:07 AM
  • Hello Steven, 

Can you check your ROMOFFSET and FSRAMPERCENT values in config.bib? 

what are the current values?

Regards,

Seeth

Friday, July 3, 2015 5:33 AM
  • Hi Steven

Can you try DiskPrep to boot with your NK.bin. It had worked for me when I was getting an issue same as you.

Refer this link for details: http://geekswithblogs.net/deepak_/archive/2014/05/14/booting-windows-ce-using-usb-simpler-way.aspx

Good Luck!

Friday, July 3, 2015 2:00 PM
  • Hi Steven,

it's the native issue for loadcepc.exe, the size of NK.bin can not over 64MB, because the CS segment issue in X86 architecture.

there are two ways to solve, one is to use BIOS loader, you can find the source code in CEPC folder, the other is change the LOADCEPC source code and recompile with eVC 4.0, yes, it's long time ago and hard to find the source code now.

In my opinion, you should not include the localization fonts, it will over 64MB size limited. also, remember, MSDOS needs to pay license if you use loadcepc.exe as your bootloader. WinCE suggests you to use BIOS loader as your bootloader.

Zebra @ TECHWARE MVP @ Windows Embedded CE

• Proposed as answer by ZebraTW Saturday, July 4, 2015 4:05 AM
    Saturday, July 4, 2015 4:01 AM
  • Hi Steven,

it's the native issue for loadcepc.exe, the size of NK.bin can not over 64MB, because the CS segment issue in X86 architecture.

Just my 2 cents - this is a limitation of XMS API (DOS Himem.sys, function 08h "query free extended memory" returns 64MB maximum).
    There is a way to improve it - use another XMS function (88h) instead.

Best regards, Igor

Saturday, July 4, 2015 9:14 AM