SharePoint site creation using SPWebProvisioningProvider RRS feed

• Question

• I have a requirement where in I need to create n number of similar sites with same structure of lists, groups permissions, same pages and same branding. I am not sure about the site provision approach to use

1. Web Templates

2. Site Definition

3. Provisioning Provider

Going through a couple of links I realized that Provisioning Provider is the best approach to go with. Will Provisioning Provider be also the best approach with my requirements?

Also I need to implement my project in phases. Hence in every phase there might be certain changes to the list structure, web pages etc. In such cases I am expected to provide only the incremental changes to the customer so that the data originally created is not lost. Will provisioning provider cater to such requirement also?

Also please provide me with some good webcasts / video tutorials on using SharePoint Provisioning Provider

Any help on this will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Vandana

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 1:02 PM

All replies

• I think you can use Content Deployment as well , you will get the exact replica of the source site.

where you can pass the incremental changes to the destination site.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 7:49 PM
  • Can you please provide me some links around Content Deployment? Also please let me know if Web Templates are the best solution for my requirements?
    • Edited by vherkal Thursday, October 4, 2012 7:07 AM
    Thursday, October 4, 2012 5:08 AM
  • Can the following approach work in my case

For the first phase I develop my entire site in the development environment and take a backup of the site and restore it on the production environment.

In the subsequent phases i can make use of content deployment

Please provide me inputs if this would work.

Thanks,

Vandana

Thursday, October 4, 2012 2:45 PM