Moving Notification Service instance from one sql server to another RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a simple (i hope) notification newbie question.

We have a running sql2k5 32 bit instance with 4 notification services running. We are now in the process of installing a 64 bit 2k5 instance, on which these notification services also should be deployed.

I have the original configuration files which the previous developer created, and i can easily install these on the new server - no problem there.

But my question is how do I most easily move the existing information of subscribers and previous notifications etc from the old database to the new one?

I would really hate to have people receiving old notifications again.. :-)

I assume somebody out there has done this before, and can provide me with a link or some hint on the best/easiest way to do this.

Can i just backup the old database and restore those again on the new server?

/Anders
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 10:59 AM

Answers

• What I've done in the past when migrating an instance/application from one server to another is:
    1. Use the original source files to create an instance/application on the new server.
    2. Use SSIS or straight T-SQL to copy the subscriber and subscriber device data to the new instance database from the old instance database.
    3. User SSIS or straight T-SQL to copy subscription data, chronicles, table, etc, to the new application database from the old application database.
    4. Take the old server offline and start the new one.

These steps should migrate the services over without sending out notifications for old events data.

HTH...

Joe

Friday, August 8, 2008 12:16 PM

All replies

• What I've done in the past when migrating an instance/application from one server to another is:
    1. Use the original source files to create an instance/application on the new server.
    2. Use SSIS or straight T-SQL to copy the subscriber and subscriber device data to the new instance database from the old instance database.
    3. User SSIS or straight T-SQL to copy subscription data, chronicles, table, etc, to the new application database from the old application database.
    4. Take the old server offline and start the new one.

These steps should migrate the services over without sending out notifications for old events data.

HTH...

Joe

Friday, August 8, 2008 12:16 PM
  • Thanks for this also Joe.

I did almost what you write, i just used Visual Studio for DB Pro's to data compare the tables in the NS databases.

That worked very well, and NS is now running fine on the new server.

As i became a bit paranoid i changed all subscriberdevices email adresses to myself while enabling on the new server, and then reverted after all rules had fired. :-) And then reverted them with VS db pro afterwards.

/Anders
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 11:52 AM