Data retention policy for Azure blog storage RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the process of evaluating the possibility of backing up my SQL servers to Azure. I have been unable to find any documentation with regards to the retention policy for the data being stored. Due to our SLA’s we need to retain database backups for up to 2 years.  

I am hoping someone can either provide me with a link to a website, white paper I can read or just explain it here.

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 4:27 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you are referring to the "SQL Server Backup to URL" feature (using Azure Blob Storage as the URL) then i believe you have full control over the management of the backup files themselves.  Meaning that your retention range can be defined by you, and Blobs will only be deleted if you remove them.
    However if you are referring to the "SQL Server Managed Backup to Microsoft Azure" feature, the retention range is 30 days maximum.

Donovan

• Marked as answer by BDanos Wednesday, January 13, 2016 1:12 PM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2016 10:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you are referring to the "SQL Server Backup to URL" feature (using Azure Blob Storage as the URL) then i believe you have full control over the management of the backup files themselves.  Meaning that your retention range can be defined by you, and Blobs will only be deleted if you remove them.
    However if you are referring to the "SQL Server Managed Backup to Microsoft Azure" feature, the retention range is 30 days maximum.

Donovan

• Marked as answer by BDanos Wednesday, January 13, 2016 1:12 PM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2016 10:44 PM
  • Hi Donovan,

Thank you for the response. You are correct in that I am doing SQL backups to URL. So if I am to understand this correctly. I am only limited by the storage account of 200TB. This data will remain until we decide to delete the blob storage container.

With that in mind I could very well have multiple storage accounts each with this limit. Allowing me to spread my backups over these accounts and to meet my SLA''s.

Thank you again for answering my question!

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 1:12 PM